Cut and shut
Friday, November 27, 2015
I"ve recently been asked to return a favour and the payback was to make a small frame and door hinged in a frame, for a bathroom. Okay, not tricky as such but every job presents its challenges. It needed to have a rich oak (Quercus robur) sort-of-look - so that"s oak in other words - it needed to be a particular size and the boxing needed to enclose the soil pipe would be built to fit the door, rather than the other way around.
I happened to have several oak kitchen cabinet doors I made ages ago, complete with mouldings and raised panels. Rather than make new, which would cost money - and this was to be a low cost or no cost job - this seemed to be the way forward. My eldest daughter Lucy calls me "Bodge It Bailey" and I must admit not without some good cause. I am always looking for solutions to problems and some solutions are unconventional...
One door was tall enough when hinged in a frame, but too wide. The frame to go around it had to be taller than the wood from the other doors. That wasn"t going to stop me. For me the tablesaw is the "weapon of choice" for resizing panels. So the doorframe was cut through, the panel then thumped out of the frame and then slimmed down by sawing right next to one panel raise and then another cut made further across the panel. That way it would be easy enough to disguise the edges when joined back together. The frame top and bottom rails were cut to the new width and instead of the original frame joints I used biscuits. Now I had a right size door. The hinge hanging frame height was achieved by having the top and bottom rails running above the stiles, which were the same height as the door, again biscuited together. There were various other tasks such as plugging holes and filling kitchen cabinet hinge holes on the reverse, which wouldn"t be seen.
The result actually looks fine and once a dye and varnish are applied no one will ever know what horrors "Bodge It Bailey" has visited upon these hapless reject doors!
Until next time.
Photographs top to bottom:
1. Quite a neat result considering all the chopping and changing!
2. Patching, filling and cutting on the reverse tells a slightly different story