Tuesday 18 March 2014
Makita innovations continue to power the brand as leaders in the British professional power tool market. The latest advance is the use of two 18v lithium-ion batteries to produce 36v power for a rugged rotary hammer and a 190mm circular saw. Makita has delivered up to two million Li-ion batteries in to the market since the launch of this advanced battery science in the UK in 2005. This means that many tradesmen have quantities of this long established battery platform and whilst the performance of 36v power is required for certain site operations, it can be generated by the more economical approach of using two 18v batteries together rather than taking the single 36v battery option.
Makita has already introduced a converter plate that enables two 18v batteries to be attached to a 36v Machine but now the machine bodies have been developed to provide direct installation of the two 18v cells into the machine, making a more compact installation possible.
With comparable weight, the compact twin 18v installation powers the 36v DC motor in the new DHR263 26mm rotary hammer drill. This new 3-mode rotary hammer generates 2.5 Joules of impact energy and up to 4,800 blows per minute. The DHR263 is available with the standard SDS-PLUS chuck, or the additional model DHR264 is available with an interchangeable quick-change SDS-PLUS to 3-jaw chuck to take straight shank drill bits. Delivered in the body only format without batteries, the DHR263Z and DHR264Z provide maximum drilling power at a very attractive price.
The same twin installation of two 18v batteries is featured in the new DHS710 LXT 190mm circular saw. With a maximum cutting depth of 66mm at 90° and 49mm at 45°, the DHS710 will run the blade up to 4,600rpm without load. The trigger is comfortably mounted on the twin-grip ergonomically designed handle for perfect control. The cast aluminium base-plate gives stability at all angles and the cast magnesium blade guard carries a dust extraction nozzle to facilitate easy connection to a vacuum system. With soft start and electric brake this is a robust and accurate cordless circular saw for most timber operations.
Development of Makita's patented AVT, Anti Vibration Technology, has further advanced the safety and performance of the popular 40mm SDS-MAX rotary hammer drill for major site work operators. Now the HR4013C has a massive 25% increase in power to 7.6 Joules whilst vibrations are further reduced with a vibration absorbing housing plus an active dynamic vibration absorber to enable a full 8-hour operation time. The overall performance increase gives a 20% uplift in drilling capacity and a 45% increase in efficiency when chiselling or breaking. The new Makita HR4013C has variable and constant speed control systems, anti-snag torque limiter soft start and a new 'soft no load' function which cuts the motor speed automatically when idling to reduce further motor vibrations.
Prices: DHR263ZJ Twin 18v rotary hammer - Â£321.60; DHS710ZJ Twin 18v 190mm circular saw - $281.40 (prices inc VAT)
Tel: 01908 211 678
(PHOTOGRAPHS COURTESY OF MAKITA)
Unless otherwise stated, all content is © Copyright 2011 - 2019 GMC Publications LTD or licensed for use by GMC Publications. All rights reserved.