Monday 14 November 2011
Born in London, Dennis became a professional musician by the age of 16. He moved to the USA with his wife in 1975 and discovered woodturning soon after. Dennis comments how he was stunned by the imagination and artistry of the woodturners in the United States. He began making large burlwood vessels and wall sculptures, for which he is best known.
These large one-of-a-kind vessels, wall sculptures and abstract sculptures are turned on the lathe, which have been accented with carving by use of various tools, giving these pieces a tactile feel. Dennis says that he sometimes incorporates the addition of pewter, exotic woods, avonite, semi-precious stones, bleaching or burning of the wood to add drama and interest: "I love the freedom that working in wood affords me and feel that in this way I can truly communicate my feelings through these works of wood. While doing so, I continue to enjoy the excitement of each exploration," he comments.
1. A piece from the 'Gemini Orbital Series,' lathe turned and carved, bigleaf maple burr and stainless steel, 710mm (28in) high x 430mm (17in) wide x 430mm (17in) deep
2. Tall open vessel with natural edge, bigleaf maple burl, turned, carved and burned, 485mm (19in) high x 380mm (15 1/2in) dia.
3. Wall sculpture, bigleaf maple burr, turned, bleached, carved, 915mm (36in) high x 915mm (36in) wide x 50mm (2in) deep
4. Wall sculpture, bigleaf maple burl, turned, carved and burned, 785mm (31in) high, 1015mm (40in) wide x 75mm (3in) deep. This piece is currently in an exhibition entitled 'The Fine Art of Wood: An International Exhibition of Woodturning'
5. 'Gemini Orbital Crescent,' turned, carved and burned, bigleaf maple burr and stainless steel, 610mm (24in) high x 430mm (17in) wide x 175mm (6in) deep. This piece is one of Dennis' interactive art pieces. Both the other ring and the inner disc can be rotated (PHOTOGRAPHS BY IONA S ELLIOTT)
Unless otherwise stated, all content is © Copyright 2011 - 2020 GMC Publications LTD or licensed for use by GMC Publications. All rights reserved.