Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Workshop Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prologus View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prologus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Workshop Insurance
    Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 5:19pm
My home insurance policy does not provide adequate cover for my well equipped workshop which is on our property but a few yards from the house. Can anyone suggest a insurance company that will cover a hobbyist's workshop of high value?
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 8:21pm
Most insurance company's will give a discount if you take out more than 1 policy so it would be worth talking to your house insurer first to get a baseline cost to start with . DONT leave it too long we all know what happens when you tempt fate good luck in your search.

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
D. J. Ross View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D. J. Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 10:51am
Hi

Try Ian Wallace insurance my tools are insured with them
Other than having my tools insured by this company I have no other connection

David

gregmcateer View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregmcateer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 4:01pm
i believe GMC have an insurance arm/tie-in
I hope you like my son's caricature of me! If you want one of you - PM me.
essaybee View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essaybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 12:19am
Anyone else got any views on UK hobby/home workshop contents insurance?

A few years ago a friend pointed out that M&S Premier Home Insurance counted your house and outbuildings as your "home" and therefore your full Contents insurance value was covered anywhere within that "home" (so you could have hardly anything in the main house and tens of thousands in the workshop). I was very skeptical at first but after scouring every word of fine-print I concluded there was indeed no restriction/limit on the value of contents that would be covered in outbuildings (i.e. if your workshop is not in an attached garage). Of course, this only covers theft/damage insurance and only for domestic purposes, but it is far better than most home policies that limit you to a couple of thousand GBP in outbuildings/garages.

Anyway, M&S has now switched underwriter this year and although the wording is very similar (and identical in respect of my point above) they have raised prices by 13% and if I re-quote online it is more than TWICE my last year's price.

So, I'm looking around but I can't easily find a way to check insurers' limits without doing quotes as many don't release the policy fine-print until that point. I wondered if anyone knows of UK home insurers that offer a similar unlimited (or very high) outbuildings limit?
AldenKal View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AldenKal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:40pm
Do you think it would be beneficial to call them and ask? Or do you think they wouldn't give you a straight answer?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic