Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urchin inspired box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tom.b View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom.b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urchin inspired box
    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 1:32pm
Maple box, stained exterior and painted spikes. Interior is natural as is the mounting boss for the spikes. Finished with oil/wax combination for the exterior and citrus oil for the interior. Inspiration taken from sea creatures. All comments welcome. 
Hope the picture s are showing up had some trouble uploading them.

Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:31pm
I can see where you are coming from but for me, it does not work I think it is the box shape. Maybe if it was a round shape to match a sea urchin it may work better.
However, I like the box with the dark and light contrast it looks well turned and finished
Les Symonds View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Symonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:25am
I'm in exactly the same frame of mind as Dalboy, appreciative of the quality and its contrasts. However, I know that in "gallery circles" this sort of work is quite popular, so perhaps I'm just too set in  my ways!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter
bodrighy View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bodrighy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:24pm
Being cruel it looks like an ordinary box with spikes stuck randomly in it. The box needs to have a shape that reflects the sea urchin and ideally textured. The spikes should also be spaced equally and the same length. Love the idea but feel you should refer back to the inspiration as you have done with the other piece. Keep going as it is great to see someone making things that are different. 

Pete
Mistakes are just serendipity in disguise
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic