Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Truing up a bowl blank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Handcrafter View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handcrafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truing up a bowl blank
    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:26am
I know there's probably no one right way of doing anything (although there are plenty of wrong ones!) but as a relative beginner I'm interested in one difference I've noticed between professional turners. When I started turning, I joined a local club and did a kick-off course to ensure I started on the right foot. There, I was taught to true up the face and edge of a blank before starting to turn a bowl - something that I've seen other turners doing on videos. However, my lathe came with a free instructional DVD by a well-known pro turner and journalist, and he didn't do that. He simply starts turning the outside shape, beginning with a cut starting maybe an inch from the edge, and then working back on successive cuts to start nearer to the centre - so that the whole blank is trued up naturally in the course of the turning. 
I don't imagine that this particular professional, on a DVD made for a major and reputable lathe manufacturer, would be advocating anything dangerous, and his is the method I tend to use now, although when on my initial course I naturally followed the instructions of my mentors.
I'd be interested in the comments of other turners.

Check out my stuff at www.michaelforsterwoodwork.weebly.com
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:34am
It all depends on the blank for me. If it is out of ballance I will face off and round a piece(if it is just a simple bowl. If however, the blank is reasonably balanced I will go straight into turning the shape.

The below comments will not ideally be for a beginner in regards to the type of turning but as an example. Once a lot more experience is gained then you will know what is safe which is what we all want safe turners who enjoy the hobby.

The only times I will not true up a piece when it is unbalanced is if it is a piece that requires it by design to be off centred and a wing, for example, is needed.

This piece was unbalanced but turned slow and facing and trueing the circumference would not have given the desired effect I was after.

ron.d View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron.d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:03pm
You are right when you say there is more than one way to do any thing, Mark Baker talked about this at a club Demo, and said, first ask your self is this safe? Then is it better than the way you have been doing things?

It has also been said the if you ask the same question of twelve woodturners, then you will get fifteen different answers, none of them wrong!
Keep turning

web site http://bsewoodturningclub.onesuffolk.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic