Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

locating good timber suppliers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
woodster View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: locating good timber suppliers
    Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 9:34pm
being relatively new to woodworking and furniture making i have been finding it difficult to find timber suppliers who stock a variety of species of timber so i have been making do with bog standard pine from diy stores, any info to help locate suppliers would be appreciated.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 6:51am

I had the same difficulty when I returned to woodworking after a long absence a few years ago. I don't know where you're located, but Sykes Timber (www.sykestimber.co.uk) will deliver for a charge. they have a huge stock of of hardwoods, including the rarer species such as Wenge and Zebrano, and I recently ordered a consignment of Ash and Padauk. They were also able to supply from stock the Southern Yellow Pine for the handicrafts table in the WPP gallery. They're in Atherstone, Warwickshire which is handy for me, and are willing to supply small quantities which not all yards are. When collecting the pine, I witnessed a conversation between the staff and a customer wanting just a board or two but uncertain about his actual needs - it was impressive to see the willingness to take time to help.

Another is Ecotimber (www.ecotimber.com) who also stock a good range. I recently used them for some Ash-veneered MDF. The first load arrived with a film of water over the top sheet - the tarpaulin had clearly been less than equal to a particularly stormy weekend - and was returned, but the replacement was fine.

If you're planning on doing any kind of serious work - whether in hard or soft woods - you'll certainly need something better than the DIY stores' offerings. It's worth asking a few questions as the ansewrs can be revealing not just about the timber but the supplier - as in the one who when asked about the moisture content replied in two words: 'No idea'!
it wasn't just that they didn't know - they clearly didn't think it mattered. I went elsewhere.
You might also want to ask about other matters like FSC approval to ensure that the timber is reswponsibly sourced.
I hopt soem of htis ramble helps.
Good luck
Michael

Edited by Handworkfreak - 08 Feb 2009 at 6:55am
Sylvan View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by woodster woodster wrote:

being relatively new to woodworking and furniture making i have been finding it difficult to find timber suppliers who stock a variety of species of timber so i have been making do with bog standard pine from diy stores, any info to help locate suppliers would be appreciated.

You can do much better than that, especially if you can find a bit of dry airy storage space. You don't say if you want to use homegrown or exotics. For myself I always use homegrown - we have a wide range of beautiful woods growing in the UK and they can often be got locally in smallish quantities from Estate and other small sawmills, tree surgeons etc (they can often point you to the small local sawyers and merchants and also mobile sawyers)
A decent planer/thicknesser and a bandsaw are invaluable if you aren't going to spend a forune getting other folks to do the preparation for you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Sylvan Sylvan wrote:

Originally posted by woodster woodster wrote:

a bit of dry airy storage space.

A decent planer/thicknesser and a bandsaw are invaluable

With those two snippets of sentence you have summed up a big problem in the UK - Space.

Modern houses don't have it at all unless you use your garage, gardens are small, so no room for a workshop. I'm another one of those people who has to buy pre-finished (planed and cut to size - width/breadth - I can manage the length ) because I have nowhere to leave machinery or drying wood.

Alex
charlie View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 1:33pm
Here are 3 excellent suppliers of timber -
Herriard Sawmills - Basingstoke, Hampshire www.herriardsawmills.co.uk
Valley Sawmills - Frome Somerset - www.valleysawmills.co.uk
Hillbarn Sawmills - Broadway Worcestershire - www.hillbarnsawmills.co.uk
borderslass View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borderslass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 6:10pm
Hello I have just started wood carving, I live in Scotland and I too am having difficulty sourcing wood. I am particularly interested in sourcing small burrs.
My projects are small, I am more of a carver than a wood turner!

Any suggestions as to where I might source what I need near to the Edinburgh area?

Thanks AllWink
Aint life a kick in the Head !
Turnpike View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnpike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 11:34pm
Hi Rhona!
I can't help you with the timber supply question unless you have a word with your local tree surgeon. Since you are talking small sizes shouldn't take up too much space and makes any drying quicker.

Anyway... Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing pictures of what you've been making.
(We love pictures here!)

Ray
I aim to live forever... and it feels like I'll need to to get my Workshop finished!
puranmal View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puranmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:17am
TIMBER WOOD SUPPLIERS, EXPORTER & WHOLESALER IN UAE
The increasing demand for top-quality wood in the GCC. CameroonTimberExport is one of the best timber wood suppliers in the UAE region. They are based in Cameroon, Africa and export a wide variety of African wood timber to all the UAE cities, including-

IN SHARJAH
IN DUBAI
IN ABU DHABI
IN AJMAN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic