Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

readers showcase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jaif View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: readers showcase
    Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 1:17pm
i do enjoy seeing inside other peoples workshops and this months artical on the highlandwoodnut
is great its a big area he needs it for all that woodart he creates carving, burning ,waxing.sawing
mind you john youve obviously been on your hols for a month or two its not quite how i remember
it its so neat and tidy hardly any shavings on the floor thanks for showing us john keep up the good work regards jim
a mcalpine fusillier
R1kx View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R1kx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 4:09pm
Yeah I seem to think it had far more stuff on the floor I think he has pimped it up for inclusion in the mag I hope the stardom doesn't go to your head John! I might have to keep your feet on the ground by re-posting your appalling abuse of the skew!!!!
Richard Kennedy
www.bolegallery.com or follow the Gallery on Facebook
Ivan View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 10:55pm
The wee dog looked really happy to be up out of reach of the shavings

Ivan
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 11:13pm
Have you guys got this months woodturning mag already? I can't get mine until friday

.........Don't tell me what happens, you'll ruin it for me

Andi
If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!
my website
Adie View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 11:24pm
Quite a few woman turners (not a bad thing)!
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.
R1kx View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R1kx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by andi fincher andi fincher wrote:

Have you guys got this months woodturning mag already? I can't get mine until friday

.........Don't tell me what happens, you'll ruin it for me

Andi

The Butler did it! in the hall with the lead piping

Richard Kennedy
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:03am
Pointless buying it now

Andi
my website
R1kx View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R1kx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:13am
What you don't subscribe????????????????????
Richard Kennedy
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:30am
No, but I keep meaning to

I cant wait to see Johns showcase now

Andi
my website
Wood Bee Turner View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wood Bee Turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:20am
Originally posted by andi fincher andi fincher wrote:

No, but I keep meaning to

I cant wait to see Johns showcase now

Andi

Something you left off your Christmas List...        .....    Add it to you Birthday List..    ... Hopefully in advance of October...   your address cover has it on..   just something to leave about for Mike..     ...     that or visit the GM stand at your next show you attent, you've all the tools..    ....

David

...Shall wood be taken thereof to do any work ? or will men take a pin of it to hang any vessel thereon...     Ezekiel 15:3
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:38am
Hubby did offer to get me a subscription for xmas, but with him getting me the arbortech, and the V/S motor, I thought he'd got me more than enough, I will got round to it...eventually

Andi

Edited by andi fincher - 31 Jan 2011 at 9:38am
my website
Chris Smith View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 11:06am
Hi all
dont get mine for weeks  I got januaries today and saw one of my rays in there, now owned my mark sanger, so that was good to see I will look foreward to seeing johns write up, in the mag how about somebody putting up a picture so I dont have to wait. cheers all chris
dont burn it turn it
chill View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 12:14pm
it must be like xmas every month with all that anticipation Chris
best wishes

Chris
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 2:59pm
I got mine now, You should see it Chris, it's great Rosie has got her' cute' face on!!!

Andi
my website
Loz View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 3:03pm
Which John ? - Not got my copy yet either !
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 3:23pm
Highlandwoodnut.
my website
JDS View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 3:28pm
Hi, For those who do not subscribe to the Magazine there is an offer on at the moment to Clubs and associations.This is 40% off so it is £27 instead of £45 for 12 issues.I am not on Commission either.Regards John
Fail to Prepare, Prepare to fail
Chris Smith View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 10:47am
Originally posted by chill chill wrote:

it must be like xmas every month with all that anticipation Chris

mate
I really do look foreward to the mag every month though the furer has to look at it first then she hands it over and tells me all the good stuff ! dont know why I bother LOLregards chris
dont burn it turn it
John Hodgson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 10:32pm
Hi All,      I am so glad some of you enjoyed the wee peek into my workshop. I am very honoured to be given the chance to show the rest of the world my own little world. It is a far cry from the usual beautifully laid out pristine workshops that we see so often in the mag.I have great admiration for the owners who keep them so clean and orderly.
Mind you, if you took away all the non woodturning tools, odds and ends and a few shavings ,my workshop could look like them. And I reckon that my sheep could fly.
No Way.... I love my workshop the way it is. Although I do have to clear up every Tuesday afternoon to get ready for the WHW club night.
The main part of the workshop was built about 21 yrs ago and has had a bit more added onto it from time to time. In total it has cost me about £130.00.Just about every bit of it is made from recycled materials including the floor which is old conveyor belt laid onto packed earth. Initially it was just packed earth as this helped keep a higher humidity level essential for wooden boat work.
Although the workshop may look a bit cluttered and chaotic to you, to me ,it is just a wonderful place to work,or not to as the case may be.
It is so nice to sit by the wood burning stove with a mug of chamomile tea and just look around the place and ponder over the vast array of old tools on shelves and hanging from nails on the walls and beams. Apart from the windows, and even they are festooned with tools , almost every inch is home to some tool or other.
I get a lot of pleasure from the many pictures we have in the house but I get even more pleasure from my collection of tools on display in the workshop.many of which are over 100 yrs old. They are all kept sharp and in good working order and to use an old tool that has been used by previous generations of skilled craftsmen adds another dimension to the pleasure I get from working with wood.
I have a lot of tools stashed away in boxes and chests and I love that moment when I open a chest to find that tool for a special job that a modern tool cannot achieve.
It is not just a chest full of old tools It is a chest full of memories and tales of where the tool came from, who gave it to me the old boat builder I worked with who recognised my fascination I had with tools and passed them on to me so they would continue to be used properly and not sold on as an antique.
I love that smell or should I say aroma, that..wafts up from the open chest, linseed oil on the beech wood planes, the oil on the steel blades, the old woody smell of the chest itself.
The box containing my boat caulking tools has that wonderful smell of Stockholm tar from the wad of oakum used to seal the seams in boat planks.
I could go on and on for ages but I hope that this will give you a true flavour of what my workshop is to me that I could not describe in the article.
I don't know whether the workshop is a reflection of me ,or possibly I am a reflection of it. There are lots of hidden corners and forgotten skills, it's a bit cluttered in an orderly sort of way,laid back? maybe, there is a little bit of humor there and it is a bit frayed round the edges. It is spontaneous and full of ideas and has been known to change peoples lives, usually for the better, Just recently it has changed the lives of 12 people who are now woodturners.
It is a very special place for me and I hope it may encourage some of you to come up here and see for your selves.
Thank you for reading this, comments most welcome.
Cheers   John.
One good turn deserves another.       www.john-hodgson.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic