FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird and wonderful projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Matt Long View Drop Down
Magazine Staff
Magazine Staff

Woodworking Plans & Projects Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird and wonderful projects
    Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 1:56pm
Hi all,

Our Anthony (WPP Technical Editor, to the uninitiated) makes all manner of wonderful things at his home workshop.

His son is a mad Doctor Who fan, so Anthony dedicated himself to making a full size Dalek, that you can sit in! This came in very handy to terrorize visitors when his garden was opened to the public. Imagine the shock when the thing shouted exterminate!

Let us know about your weird and wonderful stuff!

Edited by Matt Long - 10 Jun 2010 at 2:58pm
P Grogan View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Grogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 2:00pm
Its interesting to see that even the editor can't post a picture.  I think you had better speak to Craig!!

PGWink
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Matt Long View Drop Down
Magazine Staff
Magazine Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 2:02pm
Was my first try... it's right now though, cheeky!

Edited by Matt Long - 10 Jun 2010 at 2:02pm
Matt Long View Drop Down
Magazine Staff
Magazine Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 2:25pm
Ooops, Flickr privacy setting issue... all correct now, I hope!
Lataxe View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lataxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 4:29pm
Gawd! The insidious mindrot of popular kulture!!

Personally I try to avoid making "weird and wunnerful" as the shops and the tele are chokablok with it already.

What is wrong with a nice well made and traditional cabinet (pick your own style) in which to house the science fiction books or the writings of John Ruskin? (More than enuff weird & wunnerful in those tomes; but decorously hidden behind their endplates at least). What value in mis-shapen and garishly-coloured objects providing 10 seconds of amusement to the children (who ought to make their own amusements, yes they should)?

Don't tell me. It's a hobby.

Lataxe, anti-hobbyist (as I will now think of myself).

Edited by Lataxe - 10 Jun 2010 at 4:30pm
Matt Long View Drop Down
Magazine Staff
Magazine Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 4:35pm
Bah! Humbug!
Liam View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 2:23pm
Hi Matt,
A lifetime ago my late Dad used to entertain us on long winters nights with little dancing men who danced to the beat of the music and as we live in Ireland it was Irish Trad.
This is my version of the dancing man, the design has changed a bit and I changed the method of joining the legs. I have made a few of them, kids love them.
Riverdance watch out
Regards
Liam

Edited by Liam - 24 Sep 2010 at 2:26pm
Matt Long View Drop Down
Magazine Staff
Magazine Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 4:21pm
Thanks Liam... good to see I'm not the only one with an eye for the unusual!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 6:33pm
Not really all that weird and wonderful, but perhaps a little unusual to see in a NHS hospital.
As a chaplain in a mental health unit, I made a habit when I had to be in my office of working with the door propped open so that patients, staff and visitors could drop in as they passed - but people were reluctant to 'disturb' me when I was working. So I made this scrollsawn door wedge to try and encourage them in.

Edited by Handworkfreak - 05 Oct 2010 at 6:34pm
P Grogan View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Grogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:40pm
Michael you're back, nice to hear from you again. Or should that be nice to see from you again. I like the bits and bobs box, I'm going to steal your ash and padauk idea just trying to work out whether the pen should be red on top or on the bottom. Wink
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
hero View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:30am

oh it is beautiful

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 9:06am
Hi Matt

I think this is the first time I have been in this forum and the name of this thread caught my interest.

Then I saw the dancing men by Liam and I smiled as my grandfather use to make these for me when I was young. He also use to make me fully working cranes that I could sit on, rocking horses ( oh and catapults but less said about that the better ).

My exposure to wooden toys made by my grandfather planted a seed in me that twenty years later started me on the track of woodturning, and eventually left my career in the Police to work with wood full time as a turner.

My daughters now who are 7 and 9 would rather be making hedgehogs on the lathe than playing on the XBox ( it's mine any how) so it works for me.

My fondest memories are in my grandfathers workshop and as such I think that the Dalek is a fantastic project and a great way to get younger people involved/exposed to wood/tools and what can be made.

I personally think we need more of it as we have to find ways to get more exposure and interest to young people and this is a great way.

Quite a few youngsters I talk to don't like the idea of turning but when I start talking to them about contemporary design using ply, mix media, hard wood and a bit of stainless steel they start to realise that it is not just for turning classical candle sticks etc.

Good on you Anthony for making the Dalek, so much better than an expensive throw away games console.

Edited by mark sanger - 20 Jan 2011 at 9:07am
Matt Long View Drop Down
Magazine Staff
Magazine Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 12:52pm
Thanks for a lovely post Mark.

Woodwork can be tied up with so many memories.

It would be great to hear other people's inspiration for their love of woodwork, and to see more weird and wonderful projects!

HenryClift View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryClift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 12:12pm
I'm not sure if these are weird or wonderful enough but two of the strangest projects I've worked on recently were an epic two storey tree house with stairs leading to it and a pier....semi submerged joinery, it was a cold day

I'm not sure if imageshack files will work, other wise they can be found here with other examples of my joinery.
Anthony Bailey View Drop Down
Magazine Staff
Magazine Staff

WPP Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 7:19pm
Hi Henry, I've just been given the editors job on WPP, lucky me....I was very interested by your website and the different kinds of projects undertaken some of which might be regarded as weird but maybe should be considered more 'organic'. Nowadays solutions to problems that are created from wood don't have to be dull or straight and square. I wouldn't mind seeing more of everyone's unusual, but necessarily weird projects. Let's liven up this thread with some inspiring posts! Regards, Anthony.
EddieJ View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Anthony Bailey Anthony Bailey wrote:

Hi Henry, I've just been given the editors job on WPP, lucky me....I was very interested by your website and the different kinds of projects undertaken some of which might be regarded as weird but maybe should be considered more 'organic'. Nowadays solutions to problems that are created from wood don't have to be dull or straight and square. I wouldn't mind seeing more of everyone's unusual, but necessarily weird projects. Let's liven up this thread with some inspiring posts! Regards, Anthony.

Hi Anthony, has anyone congratulated you yet on your new position? If not, congratulations and have a virtual beer on me. Harvey's of course!

I'd like to think that I create a few off the pieces, but most are already covered in this thread http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8600 I'm happy to duplicate them, but it kind of doesn't seem appropriate to do that.

Second thoughts... I can add a twist!!!!

Anyone seen my frozen nuts?

Or mine!!!

Too much shaving foam.

And the icing on the cake!!

Edited by EddieJ - 10 Feb 2012 at 9:20pm
Anthony Bailey View Drop Down
Magazine Staff
Magazine Staff

WPP Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 9:20pm
Hi Eddie, we seem to be following each other on the posts this evening! Thanks for the congrats, being an editor isn't all beer and skittles, its quite a lot of hard slog but thanks for the virtual pint of Harvey's but then your a Sussex man like me. In fact Matt was having an 'after the fact' leaving drink in Lewes this evening but I wasn't able to get there or else I would had a pint of the real thing.
I like the snow pics it actually shows your work off really well although the standing figure looks a bit cold and neked! Anyone else got some wacky or unusual stuff to show us on here? Anthony.
EddieJ View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 1:43pm
Here you go another project which I finished today.

This one is just over 1000mm tall and weighs in the region of 50kg

I've been told that it looks like a tadpole, a sperm, a cormorant, a piece of sea weed and a seed. With so many differing opinions I reckon that I have succeeded in my quest to create something different.

Edited by EddieJ - 11 Feb 2012 at 1:51pm
Lost Head View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 8:46pm
I showed this on a thread a while ago. But I think it falls under the heading.

It's a band saw box, which my loving wife thought looked a bit menacing and that it was watching her. So its not allowed in the house!!    

regards

Andy    
EddieJ View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 8:56pm
I really like that Andy. It somehow flows, and at the same time has humour about it.

I reckon that is a very successful project.

I'm not sure if I should really be posting this, as I can't take credit for making it, but saw it at someones house and just thought WOW!!

I'm only going to post one part of it today and let you guess what it is before posting the next photo.

It is pure brilliance, and a real credit to whoever came up with the idea.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic