Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Limited workshop time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Limited workshop time
    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 5:47pm
I am going to have limited workshop time over the next couple of weeks. I now need to pull down one of my wood stores due to damage from the winds. It has done well as it has been up for so long. Lost the roof to start with but luckily not directly over the wood and bowl blanks
My wife and I have just emptied half of it today and piled it in my other wood store.

Will try to finish the emptying tomorrow and then measure up and get some wood to start building again this one is for the wood that is dry so will need limited air circulation.

I hope that others are not affected too much during this weather
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:01pm
That's not good Derek hope you get it sorted ok and don't lose any of your dry wood . stay safe in the bad weather

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Ian Thorn Ian Thorn wrote:

That's not good Derek hope you get it sorted ok and don't lose any of your dry wood . stay safe in the bad weather

Ian

Thank you Ian managed to move most of it into another shed for the moment. Going to measure up once the rest is moved hopefully tomorrow.

I may just squeeze in a bit extra space, I wonder if the wife will notice
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 6:07am
I'm Sure she won't Notice. I have just read your article in the woodturning Mag Derek so you take it slow and good luck with the rebuild plus
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:54am
I have told the wife and got a surprise as she said yes but I think she has an idea for some of the extra space

Taking it slowly have moved another couple of loads in a wheelbarrow and have just stopped for a coffee.

Hope you enjoyed the article Ian as many of my club members stated I could have smiled.
As you can see a very small workshop was hoping the next build was a new one but now this has happened it will have to wait for a few months
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:00pm
All of the wood in the wood store is now undercover in various other sheds. Sat yesterday afternoon and drew up a rough sketch so that I could order the wood for the rebuild as well as the material needed for the roof covering.
Everything ordered the first will arrive tomorrow and the rest on Friday.

So this afternoon I managed a bit of repair time in the workshop of a vice I brought with one handle broken and the other I broke after I got it as it was only cast Ali type material.
I did start on this before the roof went but managed to get the two handles completed today.
Ali bar for the dross pieces and Corian for the two handles.

Edited by Dalboy - 12 Feb 2020 at 9:00pm
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:03pm
The rebuild of the wood store has started but mine seems minor compared to what others have had to endure with all of the rain and flooding.
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 12:02am
Good luck with the rebuild did you get to expand it . Also regarding the storms in the Uk I hope you are al safe and not too much damage to property.
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Ian Thorn Ian Thorn wrote:

Good luck with the rebuild did you get to expand it . Also regarding the storms in the Uk I hope you are al safe and not too much damage to property.

I did expand but not by much. Luckily wind and rain only here no problem with flooding as I live on the top of a hill that is why wind is bad enough to take the roof as well as possibly not the best first build as my knowledge when I first erected it was not the same as it is now.
Have learnt a lot since then
Dux View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 7:35pm
Just seen the pic of your vice. That is the poshest vice I have ever seen!
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Dux Dux wrote:

Just seen the pic of your vice. That is the poshest vice I have ever seen!

Thank you Dux just a cheap one I picked up and use on my drill press that is why it is mounted on the board so I can clamp it to the table
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic