Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice: Turning bigger diameters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brend View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice: Turning bigger diameters
    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 11:05am
Hi guys.
I'm new to the woodturning side of things and wanted to ask for some advice. 
I've recently been asked to make some percussion instruments (i am a Luther and piano technician). And wanted to start with some Congas. My main problem is that the diameter is way to big for most lathes, however length seems to be okay.
I was thinking of somehow propping up the head and drill chuck. But not sure if that's the best way to go about. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.  

Cheers,
Brend
DavidBuskell View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBuskell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 12:25pm
Brend, have a chat with some of the guys your side of the pond. You have a lot of good woodturning clubs over there and you may find guidance and info locally.
There are also a few articles about which deal with making drums etc., which might be worth checking out.
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 8:14pm
Check out Woodwork Forums it is an Australian site some guys on there with big Lathes and very helpful We used to turn them on a flying head lathe in Melbourne in the 70s .

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
Brend View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:06pm
Thank you for your reply. Do know of any articles? Or where to find them? I may be looking in wrong places.
I will contact some of the local groups as well

Edited by Brend - 22 Jan 2020 at 10:07pm
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:39am
Join the forum . scroll down to Woodturning General and ask for help should work . Or you could contact Jim Carroll

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:31pm
Here's a link to the forum so you can register:   https://www.woodworkforums.com
And here's a link to the Woodturning General forum at  the site: WOODTURNING - GENERAL

Claude
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBuskell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 11:48am
Brend,

This might be a helpful link:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Turning_Solid_Wood_Drums.html

My son is a percussionist and asked me to turn a djembe. By the time we had acquired a log big enough, it was cheaper to pop into the music shop and buy a new one.

There is a video of someone turning a whole kit out of a log but I can't see the link anywhere.Will continue to search and post if I find it. I think it was in one of the AAW journals.
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBuskell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 2:52pm
Brend,

Spoke with #2 son. He said that conga drums are constructed in staves, just like wine barrells, hoops and all. You then need to add the cost of the hardware, heads etc., and you'll probably find it is cheaper and easy to go to your local music shop and buy brand new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic