Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identifying a lathe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Magrah View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identifying a lathe
    Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 12:02pm
I am hoping to tap in to the collective knowledge of the woodturning fraternity. I recently inherited a lathe labelled as a Performance Pro CLM 305 WL. I am unable to find any reference to this lathe online. I would like to know who manufactured it and get a copy of any documentation that goes with it, such as a user handbook, technical data and so forth. I am only just taking up turning, so I need all the help and advice I can get. Very grateful if any 'old soldiers' can provide the info I lack.
Yours aye, Graham 

Yours aye, Graham
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 12:35pm
B and Q sell or use to sell Performance Pro tools but whether they have any info on it. Do you have any pictures as many of the cheaper brands tend to be the same but under different labels
Magrah View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 12:55pm
I have got pictures but I'm not sure how to add them to a post. I clicked on insert image above but it didn't seem to have a way of letting me insert a local image. Can you addvise?
Yours aye, Graham
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 1:48pm
Did you press the picture icon with the up arrow on it. Also remember the pictures need to be a certain size.

Edited by Dalboy - 13 Dec 2019 at 1:49pm
Magrah View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 2:06pm
Yes , but I didn't get local access privileges - this is why: "New Members can still host images on external sites until they reach the appropriate rank to gain uploading privileges." I am a beginner so I don't have the privileges To let me do it. Ah, I know - I can put them on Filesanywhere and give you a link. Watch this space.

Yours aye, Graham
Magrah View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 2:13pm
OK - here we go: you can see pictures of the lathe at this web address:

To open the shared files, click or copy the link below:
https://login.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8c6a658e596373ac73a3

Yours aye, Graham
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 4:48pm
Does it run if so then you have the different speeds that can be used on it by looking at the 2nd photo with the belt positions and recommended speeds for either spindle work or bowl turning? The front also shows the 5 different speeds achievable.

Does the headstock have a hole through it look at the opposite end to where the faceplate is if so it means you can knock out the spur drive also the faceplate can be unscrewed you may find it hard if the lathe has been stood or the previous owner tightened it right up?
By taking the faceplate off you will be able to measure the thread and hopefully find a chuck to fit making turning enjoyable.

ron.d View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ron.d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 5:45pm
Derek has it right at the start, the"P" logo is definitely B&Q. You could contact them for more info, but don't hold your breath on something this old. It looks based on the early Record lathes . If the face plate has been on a long time be careful in taking if, 99% sure it will be rusted on.
Ron
Keep turning

web site http://bsewoodturningclub.onesuffolk.net
Magrah View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 11:59am
I found that the centre in the face plate was on a taper, but it seems that the hole down the centre of the shaft is not tapered, it has parallel sides. This means that when I pulled the centre it dropped out and when I pushed it back it rotated in the shaft and wouldn't lock. Furthermore, it appears that the end of the shaft has a female thread inside it - so you could screw a chuck, or some  other tool in there with the faceplate still on. There are flats on the shaft so I need to get a 21mm spanner to lock the shaft and try removing the faceplate and see whether the shaft also has an external male thread on it. If so, then I can follow up getting a chuck, as per your suggestion. 
I had worked  out that the different pulleys were to let you change the gearing, but thank you for confirming my guess.
I went to a meeting of the local woodturning club at the weekend and learnt all sorts of useful stuff, especially about chucks. Wood turners, it seems are a friendly and sociable bunch - mostly men, but  one or two women. Perhaps women don't like sheds as much as men do. :-)

Yours aye, Graham
Magrah View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 12:07pm
There doesn't seem to be much rust on it at all, the workshop is quite dry, so I am hopeful that it will come off without a struggle. The shaft has some flats on it so I can lock it with a spanner - which I need to get. Measuring with my vernier I made it 21 mm. What's that in old money? It seems to come out at 0.82" but that's not a fraction I recognise. 0.8 would be four fifths and 7/8 is 0.875 so that's not it either...... hmmm need to get the thinking cap on.
Yours aye, Graham
ron.d View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron.d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 7:11pm
I always saw 20 mm as 3/4", 19mm and 3/4" spanners interchange and I make 25.4*.75+ 19.05'.It is more likely to be a worn 22mm or 7/8"
,or some large self grips!
Ron
Keep turning

web site http://bsewoodturningclub.onesuffolk.net
Retec View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 9:55am
Why not just get a 21mm Spanner?

Richard
Retec Woodturner
Magrah View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 10:20pm
Yeah, you're both right. a 21mm OJ spanner from my local store got the faceplate off in a moment. I realised that the shaft does have an internal taper - only when the faceplate is one - the centre can't go deep enough to engage. When I took the faceplate off - the taper slid in and locked. How stupid is that? I have now managed to get a workpiece about a foot long turned down to a cylinder. Now I need to get the pencil and paper out and design the profile that I want.
Thank you guys for keeping me straight.
Yours aye, Graham
Magrah View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 10:23pm
The shaft has an endcover screwed on at the end nearer the motor. You could get a rod through to knock out the centre if you took it off - but so far it hasn't been necessary. The shaft lets go of the centre if you just pull it by hand.
Yours aye, Graham
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic