Forums

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for high quality drill bits: any recommend
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for high quality drill bits: any recommend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Femeldub View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Femeldub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for high quality drill bits: any recommend
    Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:37am
I recently purchased what i thought (hoped) were high quality drill bits. after about 30 holes going through 3/4" plywood and a half inch into ash, the drill bit was bent! and no, it was not dropped nor pushed with excessive force. WHERE CAN I GET QUALITY BITS THAT HOLD UP AND CAN BE RESHARPENED? I AM LOOKING FOR A SET, BUT WILL BUY INDIVIDUALLY IF NEED BE. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
Robson Valley View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robson Valley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 6:10pm
You got taken with bum tools.
I can't for the life of me understand how you wound up with a bent drill bit.
Were you running the bit freehand or in a drill press?

I buy Freud or Nicholson drill bits from open stock as I need the sizes.
High speed steel, marked HSS, and on a rack in our village hardware store.

9/64" and hundreds of holes in aluminum sheet for rivets.
Several thousand 1/8" holes in 3/4" SPF for wood screws.
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 9:54pm
The P&N brand is another good one never had a problem with them since using for years first in the 1960's building & Joinery they last if you look after them

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 11:45pm
I bought a set of these of several years ago and use them all the time.  I have had no problems with them.  

Claude
Femeldub View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Femeldub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 9:58am
Thanks for your advices. I found Lee Valley lipped bits (5/64" - 1/4" by 64ths) along with a few specific sizes for specific things

Edited by Femeldub - 09 Dec 2019 at 9:58am
Todd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic