Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marquetry Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SarahW View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marquetry Questions
    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 4:50pm
Hello Everyone!

My name is Sarah, I'm in my final year of study on a 3D Design course in London.
I'm currently writing my dissertation on the topic of 'the role of craft (marquetry) value in the current society as a response to homogenous manufactured products. I was wondering if anyone's willing to answer some questions that will help me with my dissertation.

I hope its ok to start a thread like this on here. Please let me know if this is not a good way or its in the wrong area, I’ll remove it (as its my first time doing a forum post). I thought this will be a good way to gather information from different craftsmen on their opinion about the value of marquetry, instead of cold-emailing and disturbing those who are too polite to ignore my email. This way, if anyone does have an answer to my questions, they can just reply me online.

Below are a list of the questions I’ve compiled – apologies if these questions are too obvious or you’ve heard a lot of it before but I need to show evidence of primary research.

Thank you,
Sarah

1)     With the advance in technology, there are so many other methods out there - such as laser cutters and online software that will assist the production of marquetry. But many still choose to use the most traditional and manual method of hand carving instead? What is the irreplaceable feature of the handmade?
2)     Do you think people are returning back to these hand produced techniques as a response to this mass manufactured society?
3)     Pre-industrially, craft was considered lower than something like art. Production of craft was for more functional purposes. How has the role of craft shifted as the integration of machinery become stronger?
4)     Do you think handicraft loses its identity and meaning for the consumer, if they do not identity the product as being hand made because of the perfected skill level?
5)     With technology replacing a lot of the practical difficulties that the ‘hand’ might have taken years to achieve, what role do you think handicraft represents at the turn of the 21st century?
6)     Do you think this return to craft is mainly a reaction to this disposable culture? Is the current interest in handmade, bespoke objects sustainable?
7)     Do you think the internet is an important factor for consumer’s knowledge on the available services for handcrafted marquetry? How much does the internet impact consumer demand?    
8)     Where do you think technology stands in relation to handicraft? Is it a barrier, supporting agent or neutral?

If anyone would prefer to send a private response instead, I'm happy to share my email
Thanks in advance for sparing your time to help me out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic