Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Patchwork Pot in Yew

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CHJ View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Patchwork Pot in Yew
    Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 2:29pm
Height 120mm O/A x 95mm wide, finish, cellulose sanding sealer and buffed with Microcrystalline wax.
Les Symonds View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Symonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 6:36pm
I really, really like the pot; its crazy shapes and angled joints suits the crazy, angled grain of the yew. I'm just not happy with a circular lid which has a traditional finial, on a modern, distinctively-shaped box.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter
CHJ View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:12pm
I take the comments about the lid on board LES.
Others have expressed reservations with the lids on a couple of others I've done recently.I did point out that the Pixie inside this one was happy with it.
Will have to get the pencil and paper out and do a few doodles for alternates.
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by CHJ CHJ wrote:

I take the comments about the lid on board LES.
Others have expressed reservations with the lids on a couple of others I've done recently.I did point out that the Pixie inside this one was happy with it.
Will have to get the pencil and paper out and do a few doodles for alternates.

I slightly differ from Les especially with the first one but as I stated elsewhere the last one the lid just did not look right even though the Pixie is happy with it
CHJ View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 9:57am
I find the whole subject of 'form' for want of a better word a difficult and confusing subject when producing off the cuff pieces.

There are obviously many reasons why 'classical' shapes gel with a percentage of the public, they would not be 'classics' if they were not seen as good design and attractive to the eye.

Personally anything that does not have either a sharply defined edge or a blended flowing curve does not look 'right', many people however do not notice or be put off by an awkward change in radius or rounded edge.

In the day to day selection of pieces by recipients for selves or gifts for others I see little consistency in preference for any given design, and regardless of how oddball some pieces appear at times and proportionally out of balance for one reason or another it is a very small percentage of pieces that end up in the donations box as a 'that will do for' item.
Les Symonds View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Symonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:52am
Originally posted by CHJ CHJ wrote:

....In the day to day selection of pieces by recipients for selves or gifts for others I see little consistency in preference for any given design, and regardless of how oddball some pieces appear at times and proportionally out of balance for one reason or another it is a very small percentage of pieces that end up in the donations box as a 'that will do for' item.
To an extent, I agree with this, but having had my own wood-turning shop for 4.5 years, I can clearly see a pattern in which what is normally held to be an appealing form is more popular with the buying-public than that which is not held to be pleasing.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic