Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free Sycamore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Peter T View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free Sycamore
    Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 12:19pm
Branches that overhung the road were being trimmed back near to where I live, so I asked if I could have one section of branch that was about 300mm diameter and about 300mm long. Once I had cut it down the middle with my chainsaw it made one bowl blank (roughed out and drying, and two end grain spindle blanks. These were turned green, and hollowed in two halves before being glued back on the detail line. They dried so quick that finishing was done almost straight away. I am far happier with the shape of the right hand one (the second attempt).
Les Symonds View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Symonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 6:40am
Free wood is always welcome! I agree with you wholeheartedly about the second vase being more appealing than the first; the neck is more clearly defined and, being a little wider, helps to draw the eye into the void. Also, the  curve from the wall, past the bead and over the shoulder, just flows much more gracefully. There is one little point abou the first vase that I prefer, though....its foot is narrower which helps to make it look a little lighter.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter
gregmcateer View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregmcateer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Les Symonds Les Symonds wrote:

Free wood is always welcome! I agree with you wholeheartedly about the second vase being more appealing than the first; the neck is more clearly defined and, being a little wider, helps to draw the eye into the void. Also, the  curve from the wall, past the bead and over the shoulder, just flows much more gracefully. There is one little point abou the first vase that I prefer, though....its foot is narrower which helps to make it look a little lighter.
Les

I agree with Les.

I like the right hand one very much. Great grain match, too Clap
I hope you like my son's caricature of me! If you want one of you - PM me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic