Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unusual (to me)veneer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
recipio View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recipio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unusual (to me)veneer
    Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 11:45am
Glad you got the glue film to work. I have tried it and found it difficult to use. The film would not melt unless a very high heat was applied and that tended to shrink the veneer or even burn it. I now have about 10 metres of the stuff in the shed !
For small box sized surfaces I found the optimum solution was to make two veneer presses using the  metal screws available online. Use a flat piece of plywood on top and sandwich the veneer between cut pieces of  those foil backed rubber mats available for camping ( to distribute the pressure ) Using Titebond cold veneer glue certainly helps prevent leakage of the glue through the veneer.
I know Andrew Crawford uses a' Preswell veneer press' which looks lovely but I don't think is available anymore.
yewashoak3 View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yewashoak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 10:28am
Having not had any response to my query for 10 days I decided, after some research, to use iron-on glue film.   May not be good for large areas like table tops but it worked really well for my boxes.     After ironing on the veneer I placed it on a flat surface with a heavy flat marble slab on top.   This compressed it evenly and cooled it quickly as well.   I don't have a vacuum bag.
Thanks for your help anyway and I found the Oaakwood site interesting too.   .R.
Richard
recipio View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recipio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:50pm
I suspect you have some paper backed veneer,probably made in the U.S. The veneer is incredibly thin , less than the standard 0.6 mm as you have found out. It needs a very light touch if sanding. The best way to lay it is with PVA and a vacuum bag or clamping forms. It can be laid with impact adhesive but is liable to lift at the edges. Have a look at www.oakwoodveneer.com for good advice.
yewashoak3 View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yewashoak3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 4:43pm
Hi everybody,
I have been a keen amateur woodworker since the age of eight (I'm now 83) with special interest in cabinet making and wooden boxes.    I have done some veneering but not for several years and used the hot pearl glue method, hotmelt glue film and various cold adhesives.
I have recently been given some beautiful dark coloured teak veneer which has a dull, finely rough backing and I assumed that it was an iron-on veneer.    However, heat has no effect on it!    On closer inspection the backing appears to be a kind of brown paper which is firmly adherent to the teak veneer.   The veneer is only 0.32mm thick.   I have not come across this type of veneer before.
My question for the experts is 'What is the best adhesive to use for this?'   I will be veneering onto plywood.    Thanks for any help received.
Richard.
Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic