Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JJ - Gaillac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JJ - Gaillac
    Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 2:17pm

A basswood relief (45 cm x 71 cm) that I intend for an exhibition whose theme will be "Gaillac".

It is a city whose main characteristics I must represent, namely that it is a viticultural land where life is good, marked by the oval balloon and its rooster Gaillacois.
Rooster, grape, barrel, bottle, vine, glass, rugby .... ben more than: [/ center]

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaillac
Do not speak about your language (I use an IT translator also), be indulgent with me.
JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 2:32pm

some ideas, setting up elements

Do not speak about your language (I use an IT translator also), be indulgent with me.
JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 2:45pm

my choice has been refined up to two possibilities

gregmcateer View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gregmcateer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 3:08pm
This is going to be exciting - I'm looking forward to seeing it progress...
I hope you like my son's caricature of me! If you want one of you - PM me.
ron.d View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron.d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 7:36pm
Go for the one on the right, the rugby player is entering thepicture rather than leaving it.
I am looking forward to another masterclass in woodcarving
Ron
Keep turning

web site http://bsewoodturningclub.onesuffolk.net
Ralmaroad View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralmaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 11:32pm
1. Vary the size of each element.  Rooster, Rugby Player, bottles are all the same size.  Choose  your dominant element and build the others around it.  2. OVERLAP some of your elements such as the bottles overlapping one another and both overlapping the dish.  Place rugby player behind barrel etc.  Don't know significance of the rooster but could be hidden partly behind bottles. etc.  Overlapping unifies the elements otherwise they tend to be like pumpkins in a field and become boring.  Can't tell about the banner on the barrel, but make sure it wraps around the barrel.
I've been teaching art for nearly 50 years or more. The above suggestions are as important in sculpture or carving as they are in painting or drawing. 
    Before starting do another study and incorporate the above and post it.
    Good luck and finally draw it and put it away for a few days and take a fresh look at it.
We are merely gleaners of all that we have seen.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 1:24am
I'm only an engineer, but I'd like to see the rooster on the tray, behind the bottle/glasses, and sized appropriately.  Table moved to the left a bit, so there would be the table with stuff on it, the rugby player on the right in the background, and the scroll either on the table cloth as you have it, or in front of it, larger, and down lower.

Claude

Edited by Claude - 30 Jan 2019 at 1:25am
Ralmaroad View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralmaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:31am
Hey, I went back and re-read the intent.  It's a sign for a city!  Well, with that in mind "The Name" should be your main element (Being the largest and most conspicuous)  That's good.  Make that name start low and sweep upwards across the design and if using a "banner" roll one side towards the viewer (lower side) and the other (upwards in design) back away from viewer.  Choose a bold font that can be raised and background recessed and big enough to be clean cut  without bobbles.  Other elements  could be grouped behind banner and big enough to see.  You don't need to carve a whole rooster with feathers and all to give viewer a  mental image of it.  You could even make your banner
Wood and let that rooster stick it's head through a knot hole.  So many creative choices.  Wine bottles laying on their side. Even a relief of a simple small town filling up the background behind banner would be another suggestion.
   Just keep it interesting but simple and take suggestions that you feel deem able.  Look forwards to seeing the progress.
'
We are merely gleaners of all that we have seen.
JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 2:12pm

...I note that there is generally little intervention on my subjects. But when it comes to wine, my English friends are manifesting themselves (ha ha ha) . I'm joking of course

I thank you all sincerely. Your ideas are constructive for me.

That's the idea :

ron.d View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron.d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:50pm
Looks good, go for it!
Ron
Keep turning

web site http://bsewoodturningclub.onesuffolk.net
JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:00pm

JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:04pm

JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 1:43pm

JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:50pm

JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 9:06pm
JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 5:53pm

JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 1:42pm
JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:31pm

JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:35pm

JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:39pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic