Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jamaican Fustic/Dyer's Mulberry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WoodY19 View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WoodY19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jamaican Fustic/Dyer's Mulberry
    Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:04pm
My sisters and I have inherited a table and chairs from our parents. They were made from fustic. This is a Jamaican hardwood, originally used in dyes. The tree was grown on our grandparents’ plantation. It was felled in the mid-1960’s and then made into a table and chairs which travelled from the Caribbean to the UK in the 1970’s. It is a very hard wood so the Jamaican craftsmen did not use it much, preferring mahogany. However, fustic has a wonderful yellow colour (hence its use in dyes).
We are trying to find a home for the table and chairs. I am hoping that someone/somewhere  might be able to make use of this wood, recycling/upcyling it into new pieces. It is so unusual that we are hoping that someone might enjoy using it. We are happy to donate it to a woodworker or craftsperson. At the moment, the pieces are stored in Markyate, Hertfordshire, so easy access to and from London and the Home Counties. 
I appreciate that this is an unusual request but we’d prefer the timber to be reused rather than taken to the dump if no one wants it.
WoodY19
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic