Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stems for Toadstools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
woodturningray View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodturningray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stems for Toadstools
    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:39am
I intend to turn some small toadstalls/mushrooms to "plant" in some pieces bogwood.

I want the stems to look as natural as possible, not to turned with the cap. eg some will need curved stems as they will appear to be growing from the side of the bogwood.

I recently sold 2 similar items for charity, and had used parts of grey weathered twigs found on a beach.
It has got me wondering what others use as stems.

Do you cut twigs/ small branches, dry them and use them?
Do you strip the bark or leave intact?
Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Ray

Edited by Claude - 10 Jan 2019 at 10:29pm
Robson Valley View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robson Valley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 6:00pm
What can you find for live woods growing in a twisted/bent fashion?

With fresh wet woods, bark and all, steam bending to set in a jig to cool should work well.
As I suspect you won't need really big pieces, a pot of boiling water should be all you will require.
Hold the wood under water with a stone or piece of brick.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:26pm
You could easily carve the stem from a piece of lime wood.  Drill a hole in each end of the stem, inset an appropriate size of dowel, then drill holes in mushroom cap and bogwood for the dowels. Stain an appropriate color.

Claude

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic