Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smile for the camera!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack-In-The-Green-1 View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack-In-The-Green-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smile for the camera!
    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:15pm
Hello again Friends,
Well, I have tried to carve another bust/portrait.  I have studied the human anatomy further and slightly increased the size from my last posting. Hopefully, the proportions are more accurate this timeSmile

This bust measures 3 x 3 x 6" and is made from a piece of Cherry timber. I have found the slightly bigger size easier to work with my tools (compared to last time), but if I were to make a complete figure from this size she would stand 24-28" in height (which seems a daunting task to undertake)!

I have tried to create some expression in her features to bring her to life, rather than another statue-type plain expression.

Your thoughts and comments are always valued and appreciated.

Kind regards
David

bodrighy View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bodrighy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 6:20pm
I don't carve so can't really offer knowledgeable critique but must say I find this impressive

Pete
Mistakes are just serendipity in disguise
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:05pm
The detail is great as is the finish I like the side on view best That 2/3 they really show the expression you were looking for.

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack-In-The-Green-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by bodrighy bodrighy wrote:

I don't carve so can't really offer knowledgeable critique but must say I find this impressive

Pete

Hi Pete

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and your positive comments.

Great to hear from you!

Kind regards
David
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack-In-The-Green-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Ian Thorn Ian Thorn wrote:

The detail is great as is the finish I like the side on view best That 2/3 they really show the expression you were looking for.

Ian

Hello Ian

Good to hear from you again and thank you for your comments.

I agree that the 2nd and 3rd photos look best.  I'm not sure what happened to the 1st photo as it looks more of a grimace than a smile! Perhaps it was just the lighting as she doesn't look that bad from the front in real lifeSmile

Many thanks and kind regards
David
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 3:10pm
Excellent work, David! The proportions all look correct on this one!  Finish is great and she really does have an expression.  I think it's the lighting on the first photo...

Claude
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack-In-The-Green-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 7:04pm
Hello Claude

Great to hear from you again - I trust you are well.

Many thanks for your comments and I am pleased to hear the proportions are improving! Smile (Even if she does need a square meal) Smile

I think the lighting from the 1st photo needs to be from above rather than the side. 

Still room for improvement I think, but hopefully heading in the right direction for a new carving subject matter.  Its amazing what you can learn about anatomy when you have to carve it from all angles!

Many thanks for your reply

Kind regards
David
JJF View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 7:58pm
Nice work David
Do not speak about your language (I use an IT translator also), be indulgent with me.
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack-In-The-Green-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 7:34pm
Hi JJF

Many thanks for your comment, I am glad you like it.

Kind regards
David
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic