Forums

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Combined chipcarving & painting What use to color?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Combined chipcarving & painting What use to color?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rachael11 View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combined chipcarving & painting What use to color?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 1:12am
Lately with chipcarving projects I have been combining painting and chipcarving together and I am wondering what would be best to use as the coloring? I have been using watercolors but I feel like it probably isn't the best way to do it? Plus since quite thin in tends to run down the grain in undesirable ways. Suggestions on better products and/or ways to basically stain the wood but with the color ranges of paint instead of just browns?
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 7:01pm
One way is to seal the wood first with something like Sanding Sealer, or even a matte water-based varnish.  If I am painting one of my carvings with a thin wash, I will put a couple of coats of the matte varnish on the end grain so the paint won't soak in.  

Whatever you decide on, carve a couple of chips out of a piece of scrap wood of the same type and try it there first.  

Claude

Edited by Claude - 16 Oct 2018 at 7:01pm
Robson Valley View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robson Valley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 4:36am
Most makers of acrylic artist's paints also sell the clear paint medium in matte, satin and gloss.  That extends the paint, thins to washes with out changing the consistency or the binding properties.

Now, to that, add just a little water and you could create the stain of your choice in any color.
I don't.  I mix the medium and the paint parts of my wood carvings to reveal as much wood grain as I think looks OK.

Mostly, I want opaque saturated color.  On dark & reddish cedar, that means a complete underpainting with titanium white then several layers of color over that.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 9:18pm
This may help you also:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0DNZ_kIXBixUCaJ8rJzzJA

Fred is a master carver and his videos include preparing wood for painting/staining...

Here's his web site:   http://www.fredzavadilwoodcarving.com

Claude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic