Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Material for open wardrobe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Picaflor View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Picaflor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Material for open wardrobe
    Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 11:50pm
Hi, this is my first post on here and I apologise if this has already been covered but I can't quite find what I want to know.

I work as a handyman and builder but I am really interested in learning how to make quality fitted furniture (also more unusual stuff for personal interest but that's another story). I have my first real job coming up to build a very simple fitted wardrobe 2400 x 2200 x 620mm  with no doors and three 1200mm wide drawers. I have made the design on sketchup and I am confident I can do all the joinery techniques required, but my lack of experience is leaving one big question - what to build it out of?

She wants it all white and as minimal as possible so ideally hidden fixings. Also the top is to be used a a long shelf so I want it to be strong. She's paying a good price I am building to last so I want to make sure I am using the best material for the job.

My first thought was a good quality 18mm birch or hardwood ply with 5mm for the backer and 12mm for the drawer bottoms. This is really just because I have a lot of experience doing other work with ply and it seemed like the right idea. My brother has a lot more years general building experience than me and he said MDF would be a better choice for this project. I see some people saying veneered blockboard and some using ply but doubling up the sheets for increased stiffness.

Obviously there is the added thing that it will all need painting white unless I buy something pre-coloured, and I have to say painting is not my favourite job...

I know there is no correct answer here, but I would really appreciate any input at this stage to help me come to a conclusion. I've put a pic of what I am trying to build below

Thanks very much in advance

Tom Big smile
l
Peter-Harrison View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:26pm
Hi Tom, I would probably use MR MDF or birch ply for this. If you haven't tried mini-rollers yet, I would heartily recommend them. They are about twice as quick as brushes. I always pre-finish painted stuff in the workshop- my aim is to spend as little time as poss on site.
Two other possibilities are white melamine faced MDF or birch ply. These are more expensive but don't need a lot of finishing. Edgebanding or lipping for the MDF, and sanding to 240 grit followed by Danish oil for the ply. Fixing is a lot harder than with a painted job which can be drilled, plugged and overpainted. If you don't mind using plastic caps to hide the screw heads that helps a lot.
Good luck!
Pete
Picaflor View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Picaflor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:37pm
Thanks for the advice Pete, I went for melamine MDF for the main structure and birch throughout ply for the drawers in the end so all I had to paint was the drawer fronts and this worked pretty well. 

Cheers, Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic