Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1Hand disability miniature wood carving tools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vishwamitra View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vishwamitra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1Hand disability miniature wood carving tools
    Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 4:50pm
hi everyone 
i am interested in  wood miniature carving but i am facing one hand disability .
i think or hope everyone understand  the purpose of this post . 
Please suggest ..  carving tool or method which can help one handed folks in  miniature wood carving.
please listed  types of carving tools with name {necessary other stuffs like holder other also } [tools which help  one handed people]

sincere answers  always welcome .                                        
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 9:46pm
How miniature?

I currently carve small birds (folk art, not realistic) that are 3 inches (75mm) long.  I use regular carving knives and small gouges.

Claude
Robin Laycock View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin Laycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 11:43pm
Dear Anshu

The smallest carving tools that I have are Peter Benson tools from Ashley Iles, they are about 160 mm long and come in many forms. I find the straight ones the best. You will probably need a clamp to hold the wood down as you say you have only one hand. Hope this helps you.

Kind regards
Robin.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 5:32pm
One of the simplest hold downs is piece of rope and a hole in the top of the workbench.   The rope comes up through the hole, goes around the piece of wood being carved, then back down through the same hole (or an adjacent one).  Under the workbench the rope is tied in a knot, a few cm above the floor.  To hold the carving, one foot is placed in the loop and pressed down, tightening the rope around the carving.  To adjust the carving, lift the foot so there is slack in the rope.

These gouges are available in the UK:  https://www.flexcut.com/home/product/fr310-beginners-palm-set  I've had a set of these for 10 years or more and still use them all the time.   If you are planning to carve really small items (less than 75mm), this set might be better for you:  https://www.flexcut.com/home/product/fr604-mini-palm-set

For a knife, there are many brands out there that are good.  The Flecut detail is very useful https://www.flexcut.com/home/product/kn13-detail-knife    For very fine detail on small carvings, this would be good:  https://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/pfeil-chip-carving-knife-detailschnitzmesser-kerb-11-pfkerb-11

To keep all of the above sharp, you won't need a stone unless you drop one on the floor and chip a corner, or break off the tip of the blade.   All you need is a strop and some honing compound such as https://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/flexcut-pw11-gold-polishing-compound-510075   You can purchase a strop ready-made or you can make your own for nothing.  Cut a piece of cardboard from a cereal box (I prefer Cheerios...) about 75mm wide and 300mm long.  Glue it, color side next to the wood,  to a scrap piece of flat wood (MDF would be fine) using rubber cement.  rub the compound on the grey side of the cardboard after the cement dries, then strop your knife on it.  If it begins to turn black, that's good - the black is microscopic particles of steel that the compound is removing from your blade.  Just place the blade on the strop, raise the back edge maybe 0.5mm or less, then draw the blade along the strop AWAY from the cutting edge.  Never push the cutting edge into the compound.  Do this for about 15 strokes, then turn the knife over and give the other side the same number of strokes.  For the gouges, this is good https://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/flexcut-pw12-slipstrop-717455 - in fact if you get this, you won't need to buy a separate honing compound as one comes with the strop.
Hope this helps you...

Claude

Edited by Claude - 08 Mar 2018 at 5:55pm
vishwamitra View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vishwamitra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 1:39pm
thanks for  kind reply { Claude , Robin }   

well which kind of clamp suitable for 3cm model carving any idea ? 
anybody used drill carving tool? please share some information in this context  

i am noob so don't have lot of ideas  about carving {i am greedy for more informationLamp}

sorry for late reply .

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:25pm
Something like this might be useful to you - it can be used with one hand to clamp a piece of wood to a bench.  I don't know if a similar item exists in the UK, but it probably does.

Claude
copeau12 View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copeau12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:30pm
Small carvings can be glued to a larger piece of wood with a piece of paper between (to help to take it off more easily at the end).
Whem i have to use regular gouges with one hand (for example when my other hand is used to hold the carving or such...), i hold it with one hand and use my shoulder to push the tool.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic