Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Experiment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Experiment
    Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 5:56pm
Well I have managed to complete a experimental bowl with hopefully has the bubble look.

I believe it is maple and the inner bowl shows some quilting pattern. I have been wanting to get down to playing with different colouring techniques and this is one of them.

The bowl is 7" X 2"

C & C welcome

Walter Hall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walter Hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 6:59pm
Nice work Derek.
A lathe is a tool not a constraint.
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:27pm
Good one, Derek.

I must have missed something, from the side view the bubbles appear to be an illusion. What technique do you employ to do this?

Tony
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:35pm
Nice bowl Derek I like the effect of the dimples. are the 3 white bits showing parts of undercoat not covered .

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:56pm
Thank you guys

Originally posted by crataegus crataegus wrote:

Good one, Derek.

I must have missed something, from the side view the bubbles appear to be an illusion. What technique do you employ to do this?

Tony

The rim is sanded to 600grit and then a sander sealer is applied this helps stop bleeding of the stain, blue stain is applied to this. Once every thing is dry I took an eye dropper and dropped spots of water of different sizes and in a random pattern.
I used car automotive paint in the rattle cans one white and the other black.
Starting with the white and at a very low angle just slightly above horizontal I sprayed a very fine mist over the whole rim, changing to the black and rotating the bowl 180deg and repeat the same process as the white.

DO NOT tilt the bowl at any stage and also don't get too close when spraying the black and white paint otherwise the bubbles will move.

This now need to be left until the water has dried fully and another DO NOT touch anything as you still can smear the paint even though it is dry. Give it two or three light coats of varnish again from a spray can I found Acrylic gloss spray was great, this has now sealed every thing in.

Return the blank to clean up the outer edge from any over spray and turn the inner bowl.

Originally posted by Ian Thorn Ian Thorn wrote:

Nice bowl Derek I like the effect of the dimples. are the 3 white bits showing parts of undercoat not covered .

Ian

If you are talking about the white dot in the first photo and the white around the rim in the second they are just light reflecting off of the gloss finish. The only white is the light dusting as in the description above
walshp View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walshp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 9:00pm
Derek
I like this too. An interesting teshnique
Pat.

Edited by walshp - 08 Jan 2016 at 9:03pm
dunkhooper View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunkhooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 9:07pm
Works for me . Great effect
Cheers Dunk
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 12:53am
Thanks for the wip Derek, having a closer look I can see the shine.

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 3:50pm
Thanks for the explanation, Derek, that's a very interesting and effective technique.

Tony
AndreaZanini View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndreaZanini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 4:43pm
Very nice effect! And what an impressive technique! I must try it :D Thank you very much for sharing it
Mark Sutton View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Sutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 6:30pm
Hi Derek, thank you for your explanation of the technique you employed, and I very much like the effect it has produced. Well done.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic