Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Studio mixing desk workstation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Picaflor View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Picaflor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Studio mixing desk workstation
    Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 12:17am
Hi, I am just starting to plan a project to build a large desk with some shelving to house a mixing desk, some audio equipment and speakers.

It will be for my friend who is a mastering engineer and wants something more suited to his needs than what he currently has.

In terms of the shape and design, we have a long way to go before that can really be worked out, but what I am starting to think about is the type of wood and joinery techniques to use.

I want to use chestnut for the visible part of the desk as his studio is in the ardeche surrounded by chestnut trees, but I was thinking ply might be a better choice for the insides as it might be a bit more stable cut into all the odd shapes that will be needed.

What I don't know is anything to do with the acoustic properties of those materials and the effect that different joinery methods will have on any potential rattling or loosening when exposed to lots of basslines! Obviously it needs to be as close to silent and acoustically dead as possible.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts on this from any angle as I am starting from a point of very little knowledge. I understand music studios  (actually studied it many years ago) and I am a keen amateur cabinet maker, but how the two relate is all new on me!

Thanks, Tom
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 9:04am
Is the unit open or is the mixing done in a closed cabinet if this is the case you could line the inside with an acoustic material and rubber seals on the doors . we did this some years ago in a tv studio for editing the doors were double glazed .

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic