Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something new for me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pete in Welland View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete in Welland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something new for me
    Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:52am
Funny how things happen. Had a mate come over with a end grain slab cut from a big white cedar. He wanted some help to make a wall hanging from it. Got me thinking about a failed maple attempt I had stashed somewhere. So dug it out and found it was badly warped but had some nice grain in it. So on the lathe it went, trued up and then a sun design drawn on it. Used the indexing on the back of a Vicmarc chuck to do the layout. Cut the flames with an air powered body panel saw and carved mostly by hand with a gouge and skew chisel and knife. The sanding was a nightmare as there are no flat surfaces so thumbs worn down to the nubs.
Used a ColorFX yellow dye in alcohol sprayed on and followed by a couple of coats of lacquer.
21" in diameter Silver Maple.

All comments welcomed as usual
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:51am
A lot of hand sanding & carving in that Pete but the effort was worth it result a great wall hanging

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:24am
Very nice Pete well executed. I can understand how your thumbs feel as sanding can take as long or even longer than the turning. It can be seen as either a sun of sunflower depending on the person looking at it
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 7:21pm
Beautiful work, Pete!
SFurini View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFurini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:50pm
Great end result, Pete - bet it looks even better in real life. I like the curves on the flames and the raised ridge in each of them. Lot of work but a great looking wall piece!
Cheers
Stewart
Pete in Welland View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete in Welland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 4:07am
Thanks guys. I am taking some different paths in my turning career now. Trying to catch up on the notebook full of "must try" Pleased to say I think this one was a success.
Chris Smith View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 56 minutes ago at 5:03am
Pete
lot of work there mate ,great job the choice of timber was spot on I think good on ya mate  regards chris 

dont burn it turn it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic