Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

skew chisel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bat21 View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bat21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: skew chisel
    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 7:38pm
Evening all
I am learning to use the skew chisel but I am a bit unsure of what the correct grinding angles should be for a novice. The skew angle I am using is 20 degrees and the angle of the other ones
are 15 degrees giving a total of 30 degrees (sorry not sure what the correct term is)(or if this makes any sense at all). Google is full of information but I have looked at too much and am a bit lost, Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Paul
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:42pm
You may find you will get a lot of different replies to this so this is my opinion only . It doesn't matter it is what suits your way of using it I have seen them nearly straight across the face just a small curve and it was used for all his spindle turning others have a rake of say about 10 deg and straight some are curved. Side bevel, some prefer hollow grind some a convex I use most of the above for different things. the main thing is whatever type you are using RUB the bevel and DO not cut above center of the face of the skew & cut the wood above center making sure it is on the tool rest before it touches the spinning wood or you may need a trip to the little room.
happynes is shavings flying
bodrighy View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bodrighy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 8:12am
As Ian says there is no right answer. I have avbout 7 skews of different sizesa all with different angles of grind used in different situations. Basic rules he gives at the end aply whatever the grind.

Pete
Mistakes are just serendipity in disguise
bat21 View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bat21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 7:55pm
Thanks for the replies, I will use the angles I have for now until I get a more practice.
This tool comes with quite a reputation So i will proceed with caution and care.
Must say though I am really enjoying using it, it seems a most versatile tool.

Cheers
Paul
Chris Smith View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:27am
paul
just read youre comment and also Ians and two things come up of this that bieng experimenting to find what works for you as long as youre cutting in the right place ie 45 degrees to the axis just above centre you should be fine ,little trick I use when teaching is put a marking pen line in the middle of the cutting edge and thats the bit you use when doing a planing cut that way no points getting in the way ,thus no trips to the little room lol the skew is a great tool just practice ,until you can cut a sphere with ease Big smile my skews are all convex ground because that suits me ,but really play about with angles and youll find what works for you good luck mate . regards chris 

dont burn it turn it
Pete in Welland View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete in Welland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:17pm
I think most of us have done battle with the dreaded skew and there are lots of tried and tested variations on angles and how to use. I have 6 different skews from 1/2" to 11/4" widths and various makers. All have been customized with corners rounded and grinding bevels from convex to concave. Then I bought the Henry Taylor 1" oval about 3 months ago. WOW! this has to be the best of my collection and the rest are now considered redundant. HSS holds a good edge for a good length of time. Has a small flat edge to rest on the toolrest when doing planing cuts or parting off. The oval section allows a really sensitive feed from the heel to mid way along the cutting edge or from the toe to midway if you are that way inclined. Bevel is flat ground so honing with a 600 grit diamond hone is all that's needed. My perfect skew, try it you'll like it.
Cheers
Man in the shed View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man in the shed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:25pm
I see now that this is an old thread, you must have got it sussed out by now. However if you have not seen it go to YouTube and enter skew chisel techniques, watch The Skew Chisel with Allan Batty,   this, I think, is about all there is...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic