Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Record Coronet Herald lathe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Handcrafter View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handcrafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Record Coronet Herald lathe
    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 7:10am
I'm considering buying a Coronet Herald lathe at the Harrogate show, and wondered whether anyone has any direct experience of it. From what I've read, it's a great piece of kit and ticks all my boxes - but everything I've read has been from Record Power so I'm wondering whether I might get some independent views here.
Check out my stuff at www.michaelforsterwoodwork.weebly.com
Neil Lawton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Lawton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 5:11pm
I have two in my teaching workshop and I'm very happy with them. They are light enough looking to not scare a newbie but have a decent capacity and are quite versatile in their set up with the ability to place the headstock anywhere on the bed.
If anyone does go at it too hard and digs in the overcurrent device will kick in and turn off the motor.
The only qualms I've ever seen about these lathes is the ramp up / down times. This is basically how long it takes them to get up to speed, and how long it takes them to stop. In my opinion if this is a worry in your life then you really need to take up Yoga, or Tai Chi, or something.
Andrew Hall will be demonstrating on one at Harrogate if you can get to talk to him.

If the world keeps turning, so shall I.       
http://www.neillawton.co.uk
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handcrafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 5:26pm
Thanks, Neil - that's very reassuring and I'll certainly look out for Andrew Hall. I agree with you re the ramp-up/down times.Smile
Pete in Welland View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete in Welland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 4:19pm
Well I got my hands on one recently as they are now available in Canada. Here's the Video.
https://youtu.be/H6vwN8_60CU
I will be demonstrating it in front of 50+ members of the Golden Horseshoe Woodturners in a few weeks and since the Stockroom video was made have gone back and used the lathe in outboard mode to turn a 16"+ blank.
Some facts.
I don't know of any other lathe on the market that will swing 14" over the bed in this price range (I'm talking Canadian market)
I don't know of any other lathe that will allow belt replacement without removing the spindle or pulley.
The sliding headstock is a unique feature in this size/price range also.
As Neil points out ramp up and down speeds are slow but probably a safety feature.
Tailstock is not good. No self eject and why Oh why do you have to reach around or over to get to the clamp lever? Put the lever under the quill hand wheel where it makes sense.
Another gripe is in the manual they warn against using the indexing head to lock the spindle to remove chuck or faceplate. BUT they do not tell you how it should be done!!!! You will have to watch a 3rd party video to find out!
If I was going to buy one I would order just the basic lathe, no legs or bench brackets or outboard banjo extension. Build my own stand and incorporate my own outboard banjo support.
If you max out at 14" the motor power is adequate but anything larger becomes a slow process, doable yes but light cuts only. You will not be able to hog off wood like I did in the video.
Overall a nice piece of kit but it's trying to be too multi functional.
I like the read out and the ability to pre-dial the speed. The banjo is one of the best I've ever used, but that might be machine specific. How it compares with other lathes available in the UK I can't comment, but over here I think Record will have to re-think a few things. Now they are making bigger versions of this lathe I see they have changed the tailstock, so the Herald might get the newer version some time down the road. They also are saying there is a remote on/off switch available. Highly desirable when sliding the headstock to the far right. However I still can't find it on the web site
HTH
Pete
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handcrafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 6:56pm
Thanks very much for this, Pete - really useful stuff and for my purposes it looks like the nearest thing to a perfect lathe - certainly ticks all the boxes i'd set up and I've been unable to find anything available in UK that does that at the price and I can fit into my workshop. My current lathe (Record DML18SH) has 250 watts at the spindle and doesn't cope very well if I try to turn the maximum diameter they claim it can handle. I'm hoping that the herald will be a big improvement. I've found the swivel headstock invaluable and wouldn't now consider a lathe without one - hence an awful lot of the competition was eliminated before I even started.
My intention is to pick one up at the Harrogate show in November, and after hearing your conversatons I think I'll add in the remote switch to my shopping list.
Thanks again.
Michael
Pete in Welland View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete in Welland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 2:13am
Here's the listing on their site for the remote emergency stop
https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/in-line-emergency-stop-switch-for-herald-lathe
Something else they don't mention in the manual is if you hold down the start and reverse button together for a few seconds the lathe will start in reverse and stay in reverse until you do it again and then it will go back to default setting. The default setting is you just hold down the reverse button until it beeps and then it will start in reverse, but when you stop the lathe it defaults to normal forward running. Check out all the videos now popping up on Youtube for a more comprehensive view of this lathes full capability and it's few faults. Glad to hear our Canadian view was of some help
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Handcrafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 11:19pm
Well, I bought it - just got it set up yesterday, and turned the outside of the first bowl on it. I'm still relatively new to turning, which inexperience might account for the big impact it made - the difference the extra power makes to the control I have is amazing. My previous (and first) lathe was a Record DML18SH; the power and smoothness of this lathe facilitates fine finishing cuts such as I could never get on the old one.
Looking forward to a lot of happy turning. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic