Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing With Resin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
georg View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing With Resin
    Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 10:15pm
 I have not played with Resins since I did living ponds 5 years ago ( can be seen on my website )
 so thought I would have another go with all the new additives available now. The Alder cones In
 the bowl and pens were inspired after seeing a George Watkins Box .
 The Bowl is 5"dia, The Boxes are about 2" dia
 Comments as always Welcome
 Kind Regards
 Tony

georg

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got"

http://www.anthonygeorge.net
GerryAttrick View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GerryAttrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 10:29pm
Tony, Those are stunning pieces and I especially like the two lefthand pieces inthe top photos. The colours really work well together and the relative simplicity of them do not detract from the colour combinations..

I would love it if you could share some of your technique for making the blanks, what resin do you use and is it pressure of vacuum cast.

I am gathering the bits n bobs to make my own vacuumchamber and plan to try resin myself shortly.

Edited by GerryAttrick - 04 Jun 2016 at 10:56pm
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 10:44pm
Some very nice pieces. I presume you did the casting yourselves. I agree that George Watkins is an inspiration to me as well for his resin wood combination. I have cast my own pen blanks but that is as far as I have got at the moment.

Edited by Dalboy - 04 Jun 2016 at 10:45pm
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 10:54pm
Well you haven't lost your touch in the 5 yrs those are very nice pieces great combination of wood , resin & colour

Ian  
happynes is shavings flying
georg View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 10:43am
   Very Sorry but for Health and Safety reasons and out of great respect to others who have spent
   many Hours Experimenting to work out the many Problems . It would not be fare to Post the Process
  on the W.W.W . Sorry

Thank You Derek... Yes all the casting was done by me .... very messy in it SmileSmile.

Thank You Ian... Had to stop playing for a while .. Been turning some bits for Di. I`m hoping
   to take it further ... messy but fun

Thanks Guys For Your Positive Comments always appreciated
    Tony

georg

edbanger View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 8:25am
Well I think that poor old George as some competition Tony

As always great work but the bits that stand out for me are the bowl and what I guess to be a box to the right of the bowl the cones/wood really blend well together with the resin.

All the best

Ed
Ed Oliver
Olivers Woodturning
georg View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 7:39pm
    No Chance of that Ed...... Think the pieces on this thread work out at £100 + each...... I could
    have bought two dozen off George for what this learning curve cost....... After saying that though
    I am rather proud of the bowl.
    Kind Regards
    Tony

georg

nicksimpson View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicksimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 7:46pm
These are exceptional Tony. I really wish I could see & hold them real life.
Congratulations
Kind regards
Nick
See me at BogleCraft
https://www.BogleCraft.co.uk
georg View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 8:49pm
   Thank you Nick..... The next time we are up North we will cross the border into the wilds
   of Northumberland with a couple to show.
   Kind Regards
   Tony
georg

brody01527 View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brody01527 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 7:50am
These are incredible Tony. Especially the 3 boxes in the second photo. You're a natural.
georg View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 12:28pm
  Thank You Brody...... My favourite little box is the red one with the Juniper Burr.
   Regards Tony
georg

paul finlay View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul finlay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 11:10pm
These are just great great colours well done.
paul finlay
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic