Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Organic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PhilipS View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilipS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Organic
    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:00am
Title: Organic
Mixed media 

Spindle turned sycamore, pyro textured, stained with an oil finish.
Top section 3D printed with Ebony wood filament, post processed with surface sanding 
followed by stain and oil finish.

Height excluding base: 31cm
Width excluding base: 7cm
CHJ View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 1:36pm
A lot of Pre & Post Turning work gone into that piece Philip, very time consuming.
PhilipS View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilipS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:05am
Thanks for your comment Chas. Yes it was a time consuming process but I do the work for myself so there are no time constraints in what I produce. Most of my experiments end up in the bin anyway.

This piece is more than just an experiment, it is the first in a new direction I am taking to enable me to continue working creatively.

Edited by PhilipS - 15 Apr 2019 at 8:06am
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:10pm
I keep coming back to this piece. I like the shape and work that has gone into it but for me personally, there is too much black I would like to have seen some form of contrast.
PhilipS View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilipS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 8:32pm
The piece is photographed, high contrast black and white, to accentuate the form, shapes and textures. In reality the piece is a soft, matt, dark brown. I don't think colour is that important in this case but understand and appreciate your comment. We have all got used to colour nowadays and forget that in the past most pictures were published in black and white with shades of grey. Maybe it was a mistake in a moment of reminiscence on my part.

Edited by PhilipS - 17 Apr 2019 at 8:39pm
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 10:20pm
Great piece the photo taken against the piece of A4 printing paper makes the form really stand out I think and there appears to be a lot of natural shadow . Sometime the colour on the screen does not show true on mine it is showing as a silvery black it may be the lighting . Well done Philip I like your experiments it keeps the mind working .

Cheers Ian
happynes is shavings flying
Chris Smith View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 52 minutes ago at 3:11am
Phil
Hey mate how are ya! great to see youre still plugging away and turning out some great stuff like this one a lot ,the black and white photo really sets it off ,any other colour on this would spoil it totally well done mate 
kindest regards chris 

dont burn it turn it
PhilipS View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilipS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 hours 25 minutes ago at 7:38am
Thanks Ian and Chris for your comments. 

I was expecting some questions/observations on the use of 3D printed wood in combination with conventional turning. To my knowledge this is the first time it has occurred in a posting. Silence is golden as the saying goes so I have to assume there is no interest in innovation. For a variety of reasons, this and other tech solutions will become my way forward creatively but instead of posting on Forums I guess it might better to revert to my Blog and Social Media from now on.
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 22 minutes ago at 8:41am
I didn't comment on the 3d printed part in isolation to the rest as it really set the rest of and looked a part of it . I admire the skill that goes into setting up the program to do this but the cost and tech skills I don't have . Even though not many comment I would suggest a lot look and we get ideas for other projects from what we see but don't copy so kept them coming I for one look forward to your comments and pieces of art do you sell through a Gallery.
happynes is shavings flying
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic