Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nova lathe problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wj View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nova lathe problems
    Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 6:09pm
Hi,

My Nova lathe recently stopped working all of a sudden by tripping the main switch in my workshop.  The digital display read 'FAULT - CURRENT OVERLOAD'.  I am now unable to use it at all and have no idea what to do next.  I bought it new in 2005 from Robert Sorby and it is a Nova 3000.  I have taken the circuit board out of the headstock and can see nothing that might suggest what's wrong.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, 
John.

Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 12:18am
Hi can you confirm that it is the Nova 3000 DVR . It might be a good idea to contact Robert Sorby and Nova
happynes is shavings flying
gregmcateer View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregmcateer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 7:49pm
I've found Teknatool support to be really helpful with queries.
They are in NZ, so your email may take a bit to get a reply, but you should hear in a day or so.

Sorby are no longer dealers, so unlikely to be too much help.

Let us know how you get on and the solution
I hope you like my son's caricature of me! If you want one of you - PM me.
wj View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:18pm
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.  The lathe is a 3000 DVR.  I have contacted Brimarc who now deal with the lathes in the U.K.  They have contacted Teknatool in New Zealand on my behalf, so I await their reply.

John.
wj View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:21pm
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.  Brimarc have contacted Teknatool in New Zealand on my behalf, so hopefully I will get a resolution to the problem soon.  I will keep you posted.

John.
wj View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 2:56pm
Hi Greg,

I eventually sorted out the lathe by buying a new circuit board.  I had tried several different ways of fixing the old circuit board but to no avail.

John.
hillo06 View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillo06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 5:51pm
Hi John,

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I'm wondering how much the new board for your 3000 DVR cost? I'm having problems with my 3000 DVR at the moment and Teknatool have directed me to Axminster who quoted me £530 for a new board! Seems expensive to me.

Thanks,

Hilliard
wj View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 5:54pm
Hi Hilliard,

Sorry, I am only seeing your message to me now - I have been offline for some time!

I am wondering how you got on with your Nova.  I bought a new circuit board from Record Power as they used to be the agents for Nova and had a few boards left.  The new circuit board and control panel cost me a total of £367 and I received them in October 2016.  That price included delivery to Northern Ireland.

Since then the lathe is now displaying the same message as yours i.e. 'LOW VOLTAGE' and is bleeping constantly when it is stopped.  It is still working for now but I wonder for how long!!  I am currently waiting for Teknatool to get back to me with what I hope is a solution.  This is the third time this lathe has developed a fault!!  How did you resolve the problem?  My lathe is the same model as yours (DVR 3000) and was also purchased in 2005.

Thanks,
John.

Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 8:00pm
John when we had that problem with a club lathe we had a refurbished board fitted and it was recommended that we blow out the panel now an again which I don't like so I used a vac on all ours it is also recommended that proper surge box is used on all of this type of gear in case of power surges during use . It could be something as simple as a big machine being started . this is just what we have been told I am Not an expert of any kind on these things I just expect them to do what they are designed to do .

Ian
wj View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 8:18am
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.  I am still waiting for Teknatool to get back to me, but I'll try what you recommend and see if that helps.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, 
John.
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 10:40am
I removed the cover on the lathes and carefully vacuumed I was surprised how much dust was in some of them even though they look sealed

Ian
wj View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 1:59pm
Hi Ian,

I tried what you suggested but to no avail.  The circuit is only two years old and did not have any dust visible in and around it.  I am still waiting (2 weeks and counting) for Teknatool to get back to me!! Maybe it's time for a new lathe!

At the moment the lathe is still working but I wonder for how long.

Thanks for your help,
John.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic