Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first spoon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dunkhooper View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunkhooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first spoon
    Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 9:20am
My wife got me some mora spoon carving knives  This is my first attempt at carving anything really. I really enjoyed the process. This is spalted english walnut which was probably a bit dry to use but it was good for practice knife cuts. C and c welcome cheers Duncan 
Cheers Dunk
Jack-In-The-Green-1 View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack-In-The-Green-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 6:08pm
Hello Duncan and welcome to the carving side of the forum! Smile

Its a great looking spoon (especially for your first attempt). I'm glad you enjoyed the carving process and hope you find it quite addictive!

Not too sure on the practicalities of using a spalted wood for a utility spoon but for decorative purposes it looks great.

Keep carving and show us your progress

Kind regards
David
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunkhooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 6:27pm
Thanks David for your comment. It is only a decorative spoon and yes I will try making more . I have some Holly I want to use next time. Cheers Duncan 
Cheers Dunk
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 8:26pm
You have an all round talent Dunk that is a very good first spoon & not easy in spalted wood

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
Robson Valley View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robson Valley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 10:57pm
Very nicely done.  Don't be too eager to thin the neck where the bowl and handle meet.
Many woods tighten up when they dry, they go from cheese to bone.
That's not to say the wood can't be carved.  You've done it.

What ate your thoughts on finishes?
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:44am
Nice looking spoon, Dunk!

Claude
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunkhooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:11am
Thank you Ian .Brian and Claude. I used mineral oil for the finish. I will try a more practical shape next time 
Cheers Dunk
Ralmaroad View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralmaroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:57pm
Yes, good form, good length, and nicely finished.  For your next spoon, use POPLAR.  Poplar is a wood that does not add any taste to food.  Most old time applebutter stirers were made of poplar.  It is somewhat soft and has a more tearing or stringy grain.  Therefore you must use extremely sharp tools.  Keep up the good work. I picked up some spoons in Greece made of olive wood.  They've held up well.
    For your next project, go for a designer handle with a curve or a bent look.  Pretty soon you'll get good and start to sell your own designs.  The possibilities are endless.
    Good luck and KEEP UP THAT Good Work.

Edited by Claude - 11 Feb 2019 at 1:18am
We are merely gleaners of all that we have seen.
Neil Lawton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Lawton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Ralmaroad Ralmaroad wrote:

Yes, good form, good length, and nicely finished.  For your next spoon, use POPULAR.  Popular is a wood that does not add any taste to food.  Most old time applebutter stirers were made of popular.  It is somewhat soft and has a more tearing or stringy grain.  Therefore you must use extremely sharp tools.  Keep up the good work. I picked up some spoons in Greece made of olive wood.  They've held up well.
    For your next project, go for a designer handle with a curve or a bent look.  Pretty soon you'll get good and start to sell your own designs.  The possibilities are endless.
    Good luck and KEEP UP THAT Good Work.

Popular seems to be very popular at the moment on many forums.
Am I being thick or is this Poplar we are talking about and is speel chick going mad?
If the world keeps turning, so shall I.       
http://www.neillawton.co.uk
Robson Valley View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robson Valley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 7:01pm
Poplar. = Populus tremuloides, maybe.  I'm a stickler for exact botanical spellings.

Design:  Don't look to be entirely practical, it's a concept that's been done to death many times.
Do what you see in wood, twisted and otherwise.  Break out and do a big fork = salad servers.
Carve a handle.  Add a bowl carved from fresh coconut shell (very soft).
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunkhooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 8:23pm
Thanks guys . I have some some more out there designs going around my head but will try them in the future. Mark reedy has some nice work under Toftmonkey on Instagram. Less practical but great non the less 
Cheers Dunk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic