Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lidded Yew Box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CHJ View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lidded Yew Box
    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 4:47pm
Been working on a few lidded boxes lately, basically to refine simple holding methods with a view to doing some bigger items.

This is the largest so far, 170mm diameter.

And just in case the box is not attractive enough, perhaps the contents will hit the spot.
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:41pm
I like that one Chas it is even better with the contents

<a href="http://youtu.be/Y92wP_SCbd
CHJ View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:48pm
Thanks Derek, think the recent sessions with the lidded boxes has seen me moving more to the 'engineered' side of turning again, I guess it's more my preferred form.

There is a limited range of forms that really set my juices running when I see them, I really appreciate the accomplishment of some classical forms I see in galleries but rarely am I satisfied with my own attempts at matching them, so back to my engineering roots seems the safest, although I don't manage the ideal proportions on some, the source wood taking too much influence at times.
sammysam View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammysam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 7:37am
very nice, I think the proportions are great. Love the wood.
George
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:11am
Originally posted by CHJ CHJ wrote:

Thanks Derek, think the recent sessions with the lidded boxes has seen me moving more to the 'engineered' side of turning again, I guess it's more my preferred form.

There is a limited range of forms that really set my juices running when I see them, I really appreciate the accomplishment of some classical forms I see in galleries but rarely am I satisfied with my own attempts at matching them, so back to my engineering roots seems the safest, although I don't manage the ideal proportions on some, the source wood taking too much influence at times.

As you know I have many forms when it comes to turning but still enjoy the journey whatever I make.
I always enjoy seeing what you do turn especially the segmented work

<a href="http://youtu.be/Y92wP_SCbd
Pete in Welland View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete in Welland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 2:59pm
What a great box! Awesome!
My only negative is the foot. It doesn't need it. Just a slight depression on the bottom would work better IMHO. But thanks for opening up some different ideas for boxes.Pete
CHJ View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Pete in Welland Pete in Welland wrote:

What a great box! Awesome! …...
My only negative is the foot. It doesn't need it. Just a slight depression on the bottom would work better IMHO. But thanks for opening up some different ideas for boxes.Pete
Thanks for the interest PeteI've been in the habit of 'lifting' things with a little foot to ease the ability of picking them up as much as anything, it might be more an age related influence on my part rather than an aesthetic aim.
Some of the pieces leading up to it as mentioned above may be of interest.
Pete in Welland View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete in Welland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 2:42pm
Some really nice inspirational pieces. The foot works well on all except the straight sided IMHO. Some shapes just don't need it and others cry out for it, but what pleases one's eye is all personal taste, and might not work for someone else. That's what keeps me turning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic