Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

June Woodcarving Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: June Woodcarving Challenge
    Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 12:41am
Originally posted by woodscavenger1 woodscavenger1 wrote:

well i guess the time has come to judge the entries.....

my celtic knot design was a perfect fit around the pot but my finish was and still is rubbish

Claudes diet santa broomstick challenge was well thought out and exicuted so i now pass the reins to claude ....

surely that means i came second on the carving forum challenge

claude if you would like to issue the next challenge i will participate and hope my challenges were not tempting enough and you have more luck as an experienced carver

i very much like the idea as i learned a great deal just doing my little pot and when it has dried a little more i will have another go at tidying up

good luck and thanks for participating

chris

Ok, Chris - I thought long and hard about this, and decided on Holiday as a theme for the next carving...then I rethought it...all too many people, including me, think of Santas when they think of holiday carvings. So, just to confuse the issue...I mean, be more specific... the June challenge is Halloween carving. Carving must be made from a 51mm by 51mm by 305mm block of wood, or smaller...for the metrically challenged, that's 2 inches by 2 inches by 12 inches. Bonus points will be awarded for "smallness", which is my subjective definition of "small". Additional bonus points will be awarded (by me) to people who indicate they are "beginners" at wood carving. So, if you are an old codger like me, who's been carving for years, it'll be a little bit more difficult to win the stupendous approbations that I will disseminate... I will be carving something, but I will recuse myself from the contest part. Oh...just so it's not all my subjective likes/dislikes...I'll award bonus points for each time someone other than yourself says "great carving" about your work.   This should all generate a huge number of possible points...but that's ok - in my real job, I'm a rocket scientist and am used to big numbers.   

In other words, beginners are welcome, and encouraged, to participate. Can you carve a jack o'lantern, a witch's head, a kid wearing a sheet with a couple of eye holes? Please join us.

Oh - all entries must be submitted by 25 June (so I have time to add up all the points), and must be posted to the Wood Carving Competitions and Challenges part of the forum.

Claude

Edited by Claude - 02 Jun 2010 at 12:45am
woodscavenger1 View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodscavenger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 9:15pm
hi claude..
sorry its been so long but i now have 2 jobs.. and time is now a precious commodity
BUT ..i am definately up for halloween and have a great idea already so i will post it .... good or not and would like tips on how to improve it ... when the time comes you can say the best to do that next time ... or try it this way.... because i really want to improve
will be in touch when done
chris
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 8:39pm
Well, June has ended, and after spending hours totaling up the points from judging the submitted carvings (of which there was a severe lack ...), I'm awarding the holiday carving challenge award to John (aulddiy) for his little witch entry http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5372

John: you get to decide on the woodcarving challenge for July!

Claude
dippa View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dippa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 5:54pm
It's a bit sad that nothing is happening here. Any chance to get this going again? I'm not yet up to participating because it still takes me ages to finish anything but I love looking at what you are coming up with. So, what about a fresh start?
Blew View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 8:11pm
I think it would be good to get this running again to. I missed it the first time round as I tend to spend more time in the shed that on the computer which I think is a good thing. Isn't it?
I would like to take part but I've yet to successfully upload any images onto the forum, they're always to big.
Three followers of Wisdom: Imagination, purpose, endeavour
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 12:18am
Blew:
The critical thing for uploading is that the file size must be less than 65KB in size. Most digital cameras nowadays have a native file size of 200KB to 500KB. I have a Mac, and can use either iPhoto or PhotoShop to reduce the resolution of the image and thereby change it's file size. If I use PhotoShop, the minimum file size I get is somewhere around 125KB because of all the overhead info that PS saves with the image. If I open the image in Preview, then save it with a new name, it generally comes out around 50KB-60KB. For PC's there are several freeware applications out there that can adjust the photo size and resolution for you, but I don't know the names of any; perhaps someone else on here can tell you. Heck, if all else fails, you can email the photo to me and I'll re-size it and email it back to you.

Claude
donwatson View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 3:23pm
Blew,
I use Irfanview to resize. It is cheap (free for non commercial use) and very easy to use.
Just google Irfanview.

take care
Don W

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Confucius
Blew View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 10:46pm
Thanks for that guys. I'll have a look and see if I can finally get some images on the forum.
Michelle Robertson View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michelle Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 3:11pm
Yes I too would like to see the Woodcarving Challenge back up and running!
Blew View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 6:30pm
Ok. Shall start the ball rolling?
How about a Carving with a function as a Challenge topic?
I'll partake in this challenge but won't be able to be involved in every challenge as I have a list as long as my arm or things people want carved or made and not enough time to do them.

Let me know if anyone is interested, so I know I'm not talking to myself.

Prehaps Michelle would judge the entries?

And maybe they could be published in the 'from the forum' part of the magazine?

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 11:11pm
Carving with a function...I'll participate...Just let me know start and end times.

Claude

Edited by Claude - 15 Feb 2011 at 11:12pm
Blew View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 1:00pm
Fantastic! I would start now and have a month but I'll be away on the 16th of March and would be unable to submit my entry. So shall we make it a month from the 20th of Feb - 20th March?
Does that sound reasonable?
Blew View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 6:27pm
Ok this is my entry for the Woodcarving Challenge.
A Mouse bottle stopper. To be honest its not my design but when I saw it I thought it would make a excellent bottle stopper.
So here it is.

Hope you like him.

Blew.
Blew View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 12:11pm
I should have mentioned that its carved from Sycamore with mahogany eyes and finished with tung oil.
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 5:37pm
He is so cute

Is the carving challenge, just hand carving, or can power carving pieces be entered?
If it's hand carving only, I'd need a year per item

Andi
If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!
my website
Blew View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:07am
I don't think they are any restrictions on how you carve. The Carving challenge was not my idea. I'm just trying to revive it.
Watch this space for the next challenge...Hopefully.
Gepetto View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gepetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 8:08pm
Blew
I like your mouse very nice
Cheers
Gep
Gep (Giulio)

Panta rei ( Everything flows )
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic