Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
barry View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help needed
    Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:50am
Wonder if there is anybody out there that can help me.
I renewed the timber on a friends bench last week with European oak and gave it 3 coats of danish oil, it looked ok then after 3 days it started to get black spots appear, can anbody help me to understand what went wrong ??????
many thanks in anticipation
Barry
ron.d View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron.d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:02pm
How did you apply it if you used wire wool then the tannin in the oak will have reacted to the shreds left in the grain.
Ron

Keep turning

web site http://bsewoodturningclub.onesuffolk.net
barry View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 4:53pm
thanks for getting back to me Ron   
I always use a Rubber
Thanks again
Peter T View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 9:27am
Probably just water damage. Even if it has not rained there will often be condensation in the morning. The question of what to finish Oak with when used outside like that is more difficult, if you use yacht varnish then in my experience it looks good for a while but as soon as water gets under the surface coating then the Oak goes black very quickly as the water cannot escape. I have a suspicion that there is no finish that can be successfully used to keep Oak looking like new outside, so in essence you have done nothing wrong, you are just attempting the impossible!
barry View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 9:26am
Many thanks Peter, have been using Danish oil for years, and have never had any problems at all with it.
What you are saying is possibly the only answer.
Many many thanks for getting back to me i really do appreciate it.
Think some times that i should give up cabinet making after 50 years but seeing the reaction on customer's faces when i deliver there unit is priceless.
    Many thanks again     
Barry
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 10:16pm
It may be worth using an outdoor furniture oil it will protect the wood and repel moisture and dry so as not to come off on your cloths
happynes is shavings flying
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic