Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CL4 Record

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jmoss View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CL4 Record
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:44am
 Hello to all creative minds here,
my name is Dimitris Mostras, i am a pipemaker from Greece and i was always fascinated by wood turning and creative things that force you stay in the now. 

I am flĪ¹rting with the CL4 model but i dont mind if it is an older version. I would like strickly the 900 + distance bettween centers and the maximum headstock dia that can turn this lathe.

I would like to ask what are the diferences among those CL1-2-3-4 wood lathes, how many of them can reach the  stantards i wrote above?  Is there a guide anywhere so i can understand which is which and study the specifications?

I would like to turn big bowls as much as the lathe can turn, cue shafts-butts, smoking pipes, big vases, etc. 

There is a lathe on ebay but as far as i can see seems upgraded at the distance between centers, the bars are longer than the original and the headstock turning diameter is smaller than the CL4, and on the tailstock and headstock is written coronet. What would be a fair price for this lathe?

Thank youSmile

Woodturning and the power of now!
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 11:09am
The one you have linked to on e bay looks like an old corenet as you have spotted and someone has painted it the green colour and then brought a VS unit to make it more user friendly.
I have the CL3 which is the same specs as the CL4 but without the VS unit.
Jmoss View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 11:09pm
Thank you  Dalboy,
as far as i can tell you must watch carefully the details because there isnt a platform anywhere to read the specs of each Record machine Ermm. The benefits of all this procedure is that you train your eye and learn more about older models of Record lathes and vintage ones too.
Thank youSmile

Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 11:32pm
If this helps the specs on the CL3 and CL4 before the upgrade to the latest models.

Jmoss View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:54am
Thanks alot Dalboy!
Thats make sence, so the CL4 has the same pulleys and speed ranges with CL3 but because of the inverter there is a lot more potential on speed ranges according which set of pulleys you will choose.
I thought that on CL4 the inverter can offer all the speed range from 0 to 3000rpm. 
Thank you again you helped me to understand something useful because if you upgrade a used CL3 with a more powered motor than CL4 with inverter you save some extra money.Smile

Edited by Jmoss - 31 May 2019 at 1:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic