Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caution, Plywood Glue Blocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CHJ View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caution, Plywood Glue Blocks
    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 1:16pm
I note with some concern the image of Plywood blocks in Kurt's article on Page 66 in the December 2019 issue of Woodturning for use as Glue Blocks for turnings support.

I don't doubt that Kurt is using good quality well bonded Plywood for his blocks but there is a lot of low grade Plywood available in DIY stores and builders merchants, indeed I have some that is cabinet grade quality with a considerably higher ply count to that depicted that readily lets go before the hot melt Glue attaching the workpiece if not used with caution.
Mark Baker View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Group Editor - Woodworking

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 8:14am
Chas,
Thank you for the comment. I must admit that I am always cautious of glue blocks using ply and I too use use a hi-grade multi-lamination ply when doing so but do trust that what was used by Kurt in the article was of a grade suitable for the intended purpose. I do however accept that different products are available in different countries with different specifications that may look similar to other items available elsewhere but are not the same spec and not suitable.
An article is coming in a future issue on using glue blocks of ply, timber and such like and we will also be looking at look at the different types of adhesives used etc. We will of course shows the pros and cons and safety issues of using them.
Best wishes,
Mark

Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 9:23am
A very good point Chas. Unfortunately I did not get that issue due to the shop not having any left, there must be a surge in people taking up turning here as normally there is always some left by the time i get down to the shops.
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 8:16pm
Dalboy I also missed that issue as didn't get a reminder my sub had run out its sorted now and a much cheaper way to get the mag and you don't need to go to the shop . And Happy Birthday as well
Ian
happynes is shavings flying
Dalboy View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Ian Thorn Ian Thorn wrote:

Dalboy I also missed that issue as didn't get a reminder my sub had run out its sorted now and a much cheaper way to get the mag and you don't need to go to the shop . And Happy Birthday as well
Ian

I keep promising to get a subscription. And thank you Ian but not until tomorrow as it is only the 7th here
Retec View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 4:28pm
Kurts Clinic? i thought clinics are supposed to solve and answer all the questions.

This article in a way presents more questions than answers, the use of wording such as "there are many choices of adhesive" but fails to specify which type is used when, a small clue in the picture of Glues but unfortunately some are turned away from the view point others just not recognisable.

He says that cross sectional gluing area is a deciding factor in what glue to use but fails to explain or give any answer.

More information apparently available in issue 239 from 2012, interesting to know how many people still have this? certainly not any new readers over the last 7 years.

Very poor article.

Finally Mark says that a future article will cover the subject in more depth? is this not the cart before the horse?

Richard
Retec Woodturner
Mark Baker View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Group Editor - Woodworking

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 12:15pm
Thank you for all the responses. As always, it is a difficult balance to strike with articles as to what to include and exclude.  What level of knowledge do we assume a reader has in articles. In truth a beginner will need a vast amount of information in an article and to create one project with all the information a beginner needs would quite likely take up more pages than we have in the magazine. So, the various articles are adjusted to suit different skill levels and we do assume more knowledge with some articles than others to create a varied magazine.
       As some have pointed out, we have covered glue blocks in various ways and levels in the past in many different articles, but, technology, adhesives and materials move on and as such, it is a subject worth revisiting in depth for those unfamiliar with the techniques involved.
      As always, I keep a record of all requests and comments and they help shape the magazine and articles included so please do keep letting me know what you want to see.
Best wishes,
Mark

Retec View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:51pm
Mark I have to disagree, space should be no excuse when safety is in question, if you can't fulfil the subject then simply do not print.

The picture in the article is at best a space filler as it is impossible to determine what all the items shown actually are, what does intrigue me what is the Stretch Wrap for?

A small paragraph explaining that only certain types of plywood are safe to use and which types are not and a similar paragraph listing which adhesives by Brand/type would at least prevent someone having an accident.
Retec Woodturner
ron.d View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron.d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 5:26pm
When Mark came to us for a demo, he was very safety conscious and even brought a sheet of things for me to sign, to show that every thing is as safe as can be.
Mark also has the responsibility of preparing the magazine and filling the pages.
As Mark says it is matter of striking a balance, and producing the mag we love and showing safe working practice
Ron
Keep turning

web site http://bsewoodturningclub.onesuffolk.net
Bob Chapman View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Chapman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:51am
I haven't seen the issue in question but as an ex-teacher and demonstrator I would say that, with the best will in the world, it simply isn't possible to do all the thinking for someone else. Woodturning can be dangerous and we teach techniques to minimise the dangers but no-one thinks of everything. Downright dangerous techniques are, and should be, criticised, but things that 'might be dangerous if...' are just too numerous to specify. We do our best but we are but human. Taking responsibility for, and precautions to protect, our personal safety is something we should all do.
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:55pm
Like Bob I have not seen the issue as I did not get a reminder to renew my sub . I would have to agree all activity can be dangerous so I always teach (think What if ) think if I do this what may happen in this case it may be to bring up the tailstock ,take light cuts or if finishing the bottom I could also use tape . It is not only the ply that could fail but also the glue join . As anaside at the guild last night I watch a first attempt at a type of branch bowl turned on a screw round edge to the chuck jaws I asked why is the thing not centre ,ans it doesn't matter it is only an experiment will get it right next time mabe . Next watching the bottom being turned off a bowl on Cole jaws and asked why is it not turning on cenre stopped the lathe and found the slideds were not in order on the scroll just think people if it doesn't look right STOP the process and work out why how do I sort this .

Cheers Ian
   Now to take my happy pills
happynes is shavings flying
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 2:42am
This applies to wood carving as well.  I see lots of youtube videos purported to be for beginners where the demonstrator is not wearing a carving glove or thumb guard.  I tell new carvers to look at their hands and the potential path the knife will take WHEN the wood breaks or blade slips.  I say that if any part of their anatomy is in that path, then they need to change the path, or move the anatomy!  Many of the video carvers are very experienced at carving, but when showing how to beginners, they need to be very explicit about safety!

Claude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic