Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Burr Elm 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burr Elm 1
    Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 1:16pm
This piece is going to the lady who kindly donated quite a large amount of well weathered Burr Elm (Ulmus glabra). Rather than waste good burr trying to turn it, I decided on a carved alternative. The white rot on the edge was incredibly soft but the Danish Oil finish holds it together.

It measures approximately 305mm x 225mm x 135mm high. I have just noticed that the burr to the lower front looks quite dry but this is a trick of the light. In reality it has taken the oil very well indeed.

C&C welcome.
Mark Sanger View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Sanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 1:59pm
Hi Tony

This is stunning, just about all i can say. 
all the best, Mark
My Web Site
Twitter
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 2:57pm
Many thanks, Mark. I often think I should do more of these but at the same time the novelty value shouldn't be underestimated.

Tony
Mark Sanger View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Sanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 3:29pm
Hi Tony

I am more than happy to colour and texture my pieces, I also however love nothing more than the beauty and simplicity that form and nature often provides. Here it is just beautiful and one of those pieces I wish I could touch as it looks so tactile, certainly do make more of them. 
all the best, Mark
My Web Site
Twitter
dunkhooper View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dunkhooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 3:58pm
Burrilliant 😉😁😁😁 I love every thing about this it's a beauty
Cheers Dunk
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 4:08pm
Thanks dunk.  Handshake

Tony
Neil Lawton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Neil Lawton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 6:54pm
Very nicely done Tony.
Is that from the same tree as the pieces you sent me?
Regards,
Neil.
If the world keeps turning, so shall I.       
http://www.neillawton.co.uk
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 7:04pm
Thank you, Neil. I can't swear to which tree the two different pieces came from because I took home wood from about five different trees but it certainly came from the same generous benefactor.

Tony
bodrighy View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bodrighy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 7:15pm
Reminds me of a marine creature...don't ask why. Love the tactile look of it, rough, smoth, got the lot. Getting something to be as attractive as this on several levels takes a bit more than just being a good woodturner IMHO.

Pete
Mistakes are just serendipity in disguise
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 7:27pm
Thanks, Pete. I hadn't really thought about it but now I can see a resemblance. It's a bit like the contrast in textures between the outside and inside of one half of an oyster or scallop, isn't it? Or perhaps half of a sea urchin? OK, maybe that's taking it too far ...

Tony
dunkhooper View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dunkhooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 7:44pm
I wanted to say it reminded me of a hedgehog stuck on its back . I mean it as a complement 😊
Cheers Dunk
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 7:56pm
LOL! Yes, it's one of those rare finds where the pimples (not the right word I'm sure, but I don't know of a better one) are much the same size over the whole of the outside of the burr and I can absolutely agree with the hedgehog analogy. A bit prickly, too!

Tony
Kiwi View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 10:52pm
A fabulous piece Tony, the sheer contrast of the beautiful smooth rounded inner to the crusty natural exterior is stunning   
Pete
If you always do what you always did you always get what you always got
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:54am
Many thanks, Pete.

Tony
nicksimpson View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nicksimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:06am
This is very nice Tony.
I often wonder about damaging the surface of the burr with a chucking point.
A view of the base/underside would be good please. How does it stay upright? have you had to flatten some points?
Kind Regards
Nick

See me at BogleCraft
https://www.BogleCraft.co.uk
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 3:05pm
Thanks, Nick. Here's a view of the bottom.

A very simple technique involving a firm hold and a belt sander. (Keeping the digits out of the way, of course!)

Tony
edbanger View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 5:55am
Turned, Carved what does it matter when the piece turns out like this.

I just want to pick it up Smile

Ed
Ed Oliver
Olivers Woodturning
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:58am
Thanks, Ed, they are incredibly tactile. I sold one to a customer five years ago and every year since she has made a point of coming to tell me how much she likes it. That's the kind of customer satisfaction that keeps me turning (and carving).

Tony
georg View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote georg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 1:16pm
  Tony ... That's one very nice piece.. This has got to be the best bowl we have seen using this
  style.. very well done and thought out .
  Kind Regards
  Tony & di

georg

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got"

http://www.anthonygeorge.net
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 1:50pm
Thanks, Tony & Di. I know you both know the feeling you get when a piece comes out so much better than you had dared to hope - first that delicious tingle up the spine and then you just can't stop coming back every so often to look at it, almost holding your breath at first in case you just imagined it was that good and fearing a let-down.

This is why we do what we do.

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic