Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bending Plywood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
recipio View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recipio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bending Plywood
    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 4:53pm
Can anybody offer advice on bending Baltic birch Ply ? I'm thinking of laminated  90 degree bends to make IKEA style small stools etc.
I can get 6mm Baltic ply with some difficulty but obviously there is a limit to its elasticity.Is Baltic ply available in 4 mm ?

cheers.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 6:24pm
I don't know if this will help you, but Wickes has 3.6mm plywood  https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Non-Structural-Hardwood-Plywood---3-6mm-x-606mm-x-1220mm/p/110514

Also, try some hobby/craft stores.  Michaels here in the US has 24 inch long sheets in 3mm, 6mm, and 9mm

Claude

Edited by Claude - 13 Mar 2019 at 6:27pm
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:16pm
And I would suggest a lot of steam or hot water.

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
recipio View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recipio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Ian Thorn Ian Thorn wrote:

And I would suggest a lot of steam or hot water.

Ian

That's the question Ian !
Can you steam bend plywood ? I don't think the laminations will stand up to it. There is surprisingly little literature published on working plywood as far as I can see.
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:08pm
The radius you intend to bend at 90 degrees may have a bearing on the bending proses. Does it have to be ply MDF thinline would do the job laminated . I don't see how the ply could not be steam bent it may have to happen in stages with a proper former /press

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:01pm
I found this video that might help you...

Claude
bodrighy View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bodrighy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:46pm
OK. Maybe me showing my ignorance but plywood is several layers of wood glued together..right? So we bend it and the layer on the inside is going to need to compress while the layer on the outside is going to need to expand yes? So steamed or not you are gpoing to get splitting involved unlike wiith a single layer of wood as the different layers are not related and are going to react differently especially as in decent plywood the grain will be in different directions.Me being thick perhaps or just common sense?

pete
Mistakes are just serendipity in disguise
ron.d View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ron.d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 52 minutes ago at 5:38pm
Just common sense Pete. The chairs you see with curved parts seemingly ply are in fact laminated stirps formed in a press. I tried this for a chair I made and it aint easy!
Ron
Keep turning

web site http://bsewoodturningclub.onesuffolk.net
recipio View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recipio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 45 minutes ago at 6:45pm
Thanks all. Laminating seems the way to go if you can get thin ply. It would be nice to match the edges to regular Baltic ply as well. I'm aware that 'Bendy' ply will probably work but I'm in the middle of Ireland and can't find that rare beast.

More research needed.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 hours 60 minutes ago at 10:30pm
I  noticed two things in that video that might help you.  

1. He was using 3mm baltic birch, I think.  The ply had only 3 layers.

2.  I believe he was bending it so that the two outside layers were perpendicular to the bend, but I'm not positive, so maybe it was the inside grain that was perpendicular to the bend...  

Reason tells me that having the thinnest layers (outside) doing the most bending with the grain would make it easier than the other way, since they seemed thinner...   On the other hand, it would require experimenting since wood is natural and not reasonable...Ermm

My wife has purchased many of these little German incense burners.  As you can see in the photo, the "art" it is holding is about 2mm - perhaps you can track down a German supplier of the thin stuff...

This one may be worth a phone call...  http://www.ply-tek.com

Edited by Claude - 14 hours 43 minutes ago at 10:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic