Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bench Grinders,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Man in the shed View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man in the shed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bench Grinders,
    Posted: 16 May 2016 at 2:38pm
to everybody,
                         does anyone know of a good make of bench grinder ?      I have about come to the end of my patience with my far too expensive for what it is,Creusen (red series). Don't misunderstand, it can do the job, but is unpleasant to work with, there is no matter what I do, far too much vibration for my liking, the spindle seems too small in diameter to my eye. Hate it !
          I had an old Wolf that died eventually, steady as a rock ! likewise a green series Bosch equally steady but started to spin backwards unless I hand spun it in the right direction as I pressed the button !!   
        I know that there must be a good'un out there, but who makes it ?
jpt View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 6:13pm
I have had a Record 8" grinder since they came out several years ago, I had to replace the big stone once  as it was worn down, but apart from that I have not had any problems with it and no vibration at all.

john
Walter Hall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walter Hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 7:32pm
My 6" Record power grinder is about 18 years old now and still going strong after having gone through at least three sets of white wheels.

A lathe is a tool not a constraint.
ron.d View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron.d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 7:39pm
Same hear, Record is the way to go.
Ron
Keep turning

web site http://bsewoodturningclub.onesuffolk.net
crataegus View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crataegus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 7:47pm
Pity about the Bosch, I think a new capacitor would have fixed it.

This probably isn't a recommendation because a few years ago I bought a Tormek. If you want a grinder to do more than just sharpen tools then you have to look elsewhere because the stones are very soft and I found I spent too much time dressing the wheel and watching it get smaller. Eventually I bought a harder grade of stone but even so you still have to be very careful to spread the wear. Now I have found that a groove in the stone actually helps me get the grind I want on my gouges so now I don't dress part of the stone. It's not so good for the skew, of course!

Just a thought, you didn't say but I assume you have tried replacing the wheels. Some of the standard ones are dreadful, it's a bit like bandsaw blades. They seem to fit the cheapest possible when they sell the machine and generally they are better in the bin.

Tony
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man in the shed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 8:22pm
Tony:   yes I did try changing the wheels, but no joy. Also when I tried to true up a new wheel it didn't seem to make any difference( yes they were on tight !) it occurs to me to ask the supplementary question, Who makes the best grind wheels ?
               I have been considering Axminsters'   ” Heavy Duty " grinder does anybody know anything about them ?
jpt View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 11:16pm
The best grinding wheels in my opinion are the CBN wheels.

john
Walter Hall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walter Hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Man in the shed Man in the shed wrote:

Who makes the best grind wheels ?
               I have been considering Axminsters'   ” Heavy Duty " grinder does anybody know anything about them ?

I agree with John about the CBN wheels but they are a bit pricey. The Ruby O'Donnell wheels and the Blue Ceramic wheels are also a good choice. All are available from The Tool Post

I have no direct experience of the Axmnster Heavy Duty Grinder, but my experienec of Axminster machines recently is that whilst the Hobby series of machines seem to be increasingly subject to "cost engineering" down to a price, the trade series machines continue to offer good quality at a reasonable price. Their slow speed grinder might be another option worth considering.

Edited by Walter Hall - 17 May 2016 at 8:45am
A lathe is a tool not a constraint.
duncanh View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:24pm
No doubt you've tried it, but how does the Creusen run with the wheels removed? Can you detect any vibration? Does the shaft appear to run smoothly?
If the machine doesn't run fine without wheels then I'd be contacting Creusen .
If the machine runs fine without the wheels then check that the bushings match the wheel and shaft.

If all that's fine then it must be one of the wheels.
Is the vibration just when you're sharpening or is it there with the machine running but not in use?
How are you balancing/dressing the wheels? I find that it's best using a diamond dressing tool held in a jig (I use a Woodcut Tru-Grind one reversed, with both legs fixed into position so the dresser can be kept at a fixed distance from the wheel).

Sorry if all that is obvious, but best to be sure before giving up on what are usually decent machines.
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man in the shed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 11:00am
     duncanh:
                      Thank you for the reply,     I have tried all the suggestions that I have read over the time I have owned this machine ( which have been many)
      There is vibration when the machine is just running, with or without wheels, obviously magnified when the wheels are fitted. The original Creusen instructions say that there will be some vibration,so it is a question as to how much is allowable in their eyes, not mine, so probably not a winnable argument . I wish I had sent the damn thing back when I read that !! My personal feeling is that the spindle is too thin for the weight of the wheels and is magnifying what might be quite small discrepancies in balance, also I think the whole unit is too lightly built (obviously I've got it well clamped down). I won't give up just yet, in fact I may have another go this afternoon after fixing my little bandsaw. I wonder where my run out gauge is !
Philip Greenwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philip Greenwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 5:45pm
Have you tried unclamping the grinder, I had a grinder brought to me a while ago with vibration, this was clamped very tightly down. I then loosened the screws clamping the grinder to the wood base, problem solved. it was twisted the frame of the grinder.
Not saying this is the problem but worth a try.
Philp
Philip Greenwood woodturningintoart
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man in the shed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 10:03am
phillip,
            no mate I didnt, I chose a very flat piece of mdf so unless the grinder was bent to start with........
Chris Smith View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 12:18pm
Hi all I have a slow speed bench grinder fitted with two cbn wheels a 180 and a 240 GRIT they cut superbly and no burning the metal causing blueing you can get these slow grinders from axminster I believe ,I also have a tormek that also runs a cbn wheel meaning no water ,no mess . good luck with what ever you get but remember the sharper the tool the better the job Winkregards chris
dont burn it turn it
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man in the shed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 1:09pm
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions woodworkers are great ! However I would like to say that this was a grinder question not a grinding medium one. have a good weekend.
gregmcateer View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregmcateer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 1:25pm
I've got the previous incarnation of this one from Axi and it's been fine for my hobby turning use;

I did get the Axi 'Wolverine' style jig set up as well.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-ahbgdl-wide-stone-grinder-505194

HTH

Greg

I hope you like my son's caricature of me! If you want one of you - PM me.
Flabaaye View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flabaaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 1:16pm
This is seemingly an old thread, but I'll add my two cents.

The 8 Inch Craftsman Pro pictured above is a great grinder for the money if you snag it on sale. Used the hell out of one. Dewalt is a solid choice as well. I personally own a Dewalt and love them both, for around $120.
Id say baldor is probably king, but everybody knows how much they are and charge accordingly for used, so unless you can wait for a few months while you find one, those are my 2 top picks. Stay away from Task Force.

Looks an awful lot like a made in China product. I have a Delta belt/disc sander https://mechanicguides.com/best-belt-grinders/ that is the exact clone of the same Wilton version….makes me think they are part of the same corporation, but could be wrong and they just source from the same manufacturer overseas. Do yourself a favor and stick with the Baldor as it should be cheaper and give you better service. Its a personal opinion, but Wilton seems to be going down in quality on a lot of their products and overcharging as well. Gut feeling, with absolutely nothing to back it up, tells me that Wilton does not manufacture much of their motorized machine tool line anymore.You might also wish to look around for an older used Delta Rockwell grinder. I found a slow speed version and it is still three times the grinder as the new Delta 8″ high speed grinder I have sitting next to it up at the shop. Even with a new set of wheels, bearings and switch (if they are needed) you should come out ahead both in money saved and quality acheived. Best bang for the buck would be to purchase an arbor and build a grinder with your own salvaged motor

Edited by Flabaaye - 06 Nov 2018 at 1:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic