Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BANDSAW ADVICE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
walshp View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walshp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BANDSAW ADVICE
    Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 9:27pm
Hi
Looking to replace my Electra Beckum 316 with a larger capacity bandsaw.
Been looking at the Record Power Sabre 450 and the Startrite 403.
Anyone have experience of any of these.
Thanks
Pat
recipio View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recipio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 7:55pm
Both of those bandsaws are 2 HP and for that kind of money you can get the Hammer N4400 with a 4HP single phase motor. I bought mine from an agency in Cork and they will ship it free to you. Beware they are heavy and lifting it upright is a two man job.Big smile
walshp View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walshp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 9:48am
Thanks Recipio.
I was looking at these because two in particular as I have a chance to get either of them "as new" at a reduce price saving several hundred.
Cheers

Bob Chapman View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Chapman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:03pm
A 4HP motor (3000 W) requires a current of almost exactly 13 amps - the upper limit of most household plug fuses. While a 4HP machine will probably run with no load, when making a heavy cut the fuse is likely to blow. I have a 3HP bandsaw on a domestic circuit and that blows the fuse more often than is convenient.

Just another thing to take into account
recipio View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recipio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Bob Chapman Bob Chapman wrote:

A 4HP motor (3000 W) requires a current of almost exactly 13 amps - the upper limit of most household plug fuses. While a 4HP machine will probably run with no load, when making a heavy cut the fuse is likely to blow. I have a 3HP bandsaw on a domestic circuit and that blows the fuse more often than is convenient.

Just another thing to take into account

Yes, a 16 amp circuit is mandatory.
walshp View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walshp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:05am
Hi Bob and Recipio.
Thanks for the advice. The Startrite and the Sabre 450 are 2HP machines. The ads for them say they need a 16 amp power supply. A friend advised me that the normal supply should be ok once there was nothing else major being used on the same circuit.  Do you  think that advice is sound or dodgy? The electrical spec on the 450 is below for info in case it helps.
Motor input P1: 2000W.
Motor output P2:1500W.
Voltage: 230 V
Frequency: 50 Hz
Full load current: 8.6 A
Short circuit rating: 1 kA
recipio View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recipio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:31pm
You should certainly be able to run a 2HP motor on a 13 amp circuit. The worst that will happen is blowing the plug fuse on startup occasionally.
However, its a simple matter to instal a 16 amp circuit - just a new contact breaker and correct cable with the round  (blue )  three pin plug. If you have a planer/ thicknesser it will probably need a 16 amp circuit anyway.
walshp View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walshp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:07pm
Thanks Recipio - you've been really helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic