Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2014 challenges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
larry c View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larry c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2014 challenges
    Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 11:17am
A good challenge to start the year would be a gavel and possibly a  block.  There is lots of scope for variation, artistry, creativity and they can be made in just about any wood. I have seen very small ornamental ones to quite large simple ones. Obviously the handle needs to be a good fit. You may wish to put some lettering around the block and could even do anive  presentation box.  I am sure I have seen extra large ones in Auctioneers windows and it may be possible to make very small gavels to go on things like  keyring, necklace, pendant or earrings.  There we are. Find some bits in your boxes of odds and see what you can do.  I will try and do a challenge every month and do the odd side challenge. Happy New Year, regards Larry
John Hodgson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 3:32pm
PASS THE PARCEL CHALLENGE.

IMG_1845 (Medium) by woodnut43, on Flickr

Inside this container is a woodturning that I have made especially for this challenge which will, with a bit of luck, go like this.

On the evening of Monday April 7th. I will post a password on this page.

The first person to send me a PM quoting the password and who accepts the challenge will receive a parcel by first class Royal Mail containing this woodturning. I will reply to that person requesting their address and I will also post the name of the challenger on this page.

The challenge for that person is.that,.....shortly after the parcel arrives he/she will post one or two photos on this page together with a good description and a few comments. Not a full blown critique.

They also have to make a new woodturning to fit into the container ready to post to the next challenger after posting a new password on Monday April 21st.

The challenge is repeated on the evening of every second Monday.

Although you may already have a woodturning to fit , you are expected to turn a new one.

There will be severe penalties for any woodturning that has been seen before.

There will also be severe penalties for not meeting the deadline.

The penalties will be decided by the moderators.

If any of the turners from outside the UK want to take part we will have to come up with a reasonable time scale to allow for postage.

.......................................................................................................
I am open to questions for the rest of this week.

Cheers    John.

Edited by John Hodgson - 31 Mar 2014 at 3:33pm
One good turn deserves another.       www.john-hodgson.co.uk
Neil Lawton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Lawton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 5:52pm
The Parcel has landed!

Well, what can I say!
I am now the proud owner of a Hodgson vessel, done in his own inimitable style.

The outside "Ribbing" and scorching make a great contrast to the natural inside. It is an incredibly tactile piece, I can't stop picking it up. The lustre of the finish does not really show in the photograph.
I would gather that this has been finished using Johns "Hot wax method", as the piece has a rather pleasant aroma.

I've resisted giving dimensions, as that would spoil the fun
A very hard act to follow.
Thank you Mr. Hodgson Sir.
You are a Gentleman.

Regards,
Neil
If the world keeps turning, so shall I.       
http://www.neillawton.co.uk
bodrighy View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bodrighy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 7:17pm
Just come home to find a parcel from Neil awaiting me. Biggest problem I have with it to be honest is the bench mark he has set me. Really have to get my thinking cap on,. It is really lovely (or cute as the better half put it) Definitely different to anything I have seen before personally and top quality. Lovely figured walnut, well designed, and it works

Pete

Mistakes are just serendipity in disguise
PhilipS View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilipS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 5:02pm

Okay it seems my knuckles have been wrapped for not adhering strictly to the rules and not photographing and posting immediately.

I am happy to say I received my parcel from Pete this week. The contents make a welcome addition to my collection of turnings. Due to penalties imposed by the Moderators I was fortunate to receive both a hollow form and a pestle and mortar.

The hollow form is I believe made from Laburnum with a two part turned pewter finial, expertly constructed.

I am not that good with wood identification so Pete will hopefully fill in the detail about the pestle and mortar which has an oiled finish. It sits comfortably in the hand as well as on the work surface, I look forward to using it.

Thanks Pete for these, all I have to do now is my part. I have my piece ready so to play catch up I will post the password tonight at about 9pm and post onwards tomorrow. Usual method, first after the passsword is posted is next in turn. This is probably breaking the rules too. 

Philip.

Ivan View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 2:45pm
Look what I got in the mail the other day! A beautiful pendant made by PhilipS,which has been claimed by my daughter.It is made from ebony with a textured,fine silver insert in the centre and all fittings are sterling silver on a silicone rubber neckpiece.

Please accept my apologies for the photo quality ,it is not one of my strong points.
Now I will have to lock myself in the garage and see what I can come up with.
after all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done.
Mark Sutton View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Sutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 6:24pm
Well, i have just arrived home to a wonderful surprise.

a Beautifully Box, made from Zebrano and African Blackwood, very well finished and turned, nice detailing to the top and bottom of the box, thank you very much.

Just have to get my thinking cap on now!!

Regards

Mark
georg View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 7:18pm

Our Parcel Came Today and we are now the proud owners of a Very Cute and Quirky
     well turned and finished .....Birdhouse
     The Woods used are
     Roof. ....Yew........ Body..... Walnut...... Perch..... African Blackwood.......Finial......Burr Elm
     Stand...... Pau Rosa and Purple Heart

Thank you Mark

georg

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got"

http://www.anthonygeorge.net
Neil Lawton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Lawton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 10:34am
Old Bronze.

Turned by Tony from Oak burr, pierced and coloured to represent an old worn out piece of Bronze.
The rim is cast Pewter, turned then aged.

There was also a little extra with the parcel!

Not only a stunning piece of work, but some lovely blanks as well!
Thank you so much, Tony and Di.
Best regards,
Neil
If the world keeps turning, so shall I.       
http://www.neillawton.co.uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 6:44pm
The next password is due from Neil on next Monday evening (14th)

Here are the password dates for the rest of the year, I will decide what to do about the Christmas interlude nearer the time.

July      14th   28th
August 11th   25th
Sept      8th    22nd
Oct        6th    20th
Nov        3rd    17th
Dec       1st     15th

In order to keep the thread compact I have deleted all the comments and just keeping the items that have been made .

To any newcomers...... Please do read the guidelines to this challenge at the start of the thread before you reply to a challenge. The deadlines are quite tight and MUST be adhered to.

Have fun,    John.
D. J. Ross View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D. J. Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 5:58pm
Hi Neil. I reP1010036 by davidross706, on Flickrceived the parcel today
colinjp View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 1:40pm
Hi John piece is ready to go and the password will be issued at approximately 9 o'clock tonight Thanks David for the Goblet it has pride of place on my mantlepiece. Sorry for the delay but has already explained elsewhere i have been putting in a lot of hours recently on behalf of my club and partner so i have been away a lot . Regards Colin
davids Goblet in Yew

Edited by colinjp - 11 Aug 2014 at 3:10pm
Colin Parr
don't see problems see solutions
turners cabin View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turners cabin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 12:01pm
well here it sorry it took so long 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 9:00pm
The new password is......................UP TO YOU NOW
As usual, PM me with the password and the first to do so will be the next challenger.
Good luck,    John.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 9:34pm
The next challenger is nicksimpson and the next password date is November 3rd.
Cheers   John.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 9:10pm
IMG_2650 (Medium) by woodnut43, on FlickrIMG_2651 (Medium) by woodnut43, on Flickr

The parcel from Ian arrived this afternoon and so well worth the wait.. A pair of beautiful pens in a presentation case. Many many thanks Ian
I know nothing about pens apart from the fact that these look splendid. Perhaps Ian could fill me in with the details and wood species etc. and also let me know what I need to fill the fountain pen
I will post the parcel to Nick tomorrow morning first class.
Cheers    John..
turners cabin View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turners cabin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 10:45pm
hi john they are some jr gents ( new kits ill have in soon little self plug there Embarrassed)
the wood it indian rose wood and did i not put an ink cartrige in the fountain pen dam . 
nicksimpson View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicksimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 12:18pm
Thank you John,.............Parcel arrived yesterday late afternoon
What a lovely box in red cedar, beautifully turned and finished in paste wax. Cunningly packaged to fit in the parcel.

Best Wishes
Nick

See me at BogleCraft
https://www.BogleCraft.co.uk
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicksimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 7:44am
Item ready............
Parcelled up...............
Password to be posted Monday evening.................
Nick
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicksimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 7:18pm
Parcel ready.......................
The password is ................
TURN AROUND

1st person to pm me with the password accepts the challenge & gets the parcel.

I'll contact you for address etc by pm

Bring it on
Nick

Edited by nicksimpson - 03 Nov 2014 at 7:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic