Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAW Symposium pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAW Symposium pics
    Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 7:23pm
Hi all

I have just returned from the 25th AAW Symposium in Saint Paul, Minnesotta and will be putting up many pics on my web site/blog of the instant gallery ( once I have worked out a quick way to upload 350 pics).

But a few tasters here.

Here are a few of the four days I was over there I met and spent time with many turners who were very gracious and generous with their time.

This one I thought you may like as the size was well unbelievable. And yes they were hollow.

I was demonstrating on "Choice Woods" stand together with Jimmy Clewes and Robin Costelle.

The picture below is a piece by Robin Costelle from the instant gallery.

This piece is a collaboration by Jimmy Clewes and Bihn Pho again from the instant gallery.

This is the work of my favourite turner Douglas Fisher and the pic below is a bit of self indulgence I am afraid but I was so chuffed that I finally got to meet him I just had to get my pic taken with his work which he allowed me to hold. It is even more amazing up close than in the pictures.

My luck was really in as Doug was staying at the same hotel as me and invited me to join him and some other turners in the bar on one of the evenings for a drink. Some interesting subjects and ideas were exchanged.

The work was amazing and here are another few pieces.

I liked this piece as it was sculptural and the maker did not feel the need to hollow out the top form.

Edited by mark sanger - 28 Jun 2011 at 8:14pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 8:17pm
here are a few more for those like me who enjoy the work of John Jordan and Dave Ellsworth.

JDS View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 9:03pm
Hi Mark,Thanks for posting these wonderful pictures of the AWW Symposium.I look forward to seeing more
have you thought about using Picasa to set up a web album.Regards John

Edited by JDS - 28 Jun 2011 at 9:07pm
Fail to Prepare, Prepare to fail
Turnpike View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnpike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 11:08pm
Here's a video/photos of the event from a facebook friend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07HRxhGZYqA

Don't think I've seen so many turnings all in one place before!

Think I spotted one of Mark's lovely pieces towards the end.

Ray

Edited by Turnpike - 28 Jun 2011 at 11:08pm
I aim to live forever... and it feels like I'll need to to get my Workshop finished!
Wood Bee Turner View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wood Bee Turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 12:16am

Mark, Well done and thank you for finding the time in order to post the pictures.. hows the jet lag..
As a fellow Wowie, I've seen most of the pieces which were being put forward for St Pauls, it's nice to see them put all together.. I too like what Doug is doing with his work... and you got your hands on some..     ... brilliant.. will watch as to with the encounter, as to what comes out of it in your work.. Glad you had a good time. Will check in on the Blog.

David
...Shall wood be taken thereof to do any work ? or will men take a pin of it to hang any vessel thereon...     Ezekiel 15:3
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 9:00am
Hi John

Thank you for your comment. No had not thought of picasa but I have found that photo bucket does the same sort of thing so am just setting up a folder once I have finish cropping them etc.

Hi Ray

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I did not have time to get any work ready to include in the instant gallery. But I will for next year as it is in California and it would be rude of me to miss that one.

Hi David

Thank you.

It was an amazing eye opening experience. My new pieces were started before I left and I am hoping to get one or two finished in the next few weeks once I have caught up.

There is no doubt however that meeting Doug and the other turners has changed my view and ideas some what. The thing that I brought back and was so obvious to me other than the openess and freindlyness of the Americans that are willing to freely give advice and ideas/techniques, but that anything goes and all is accepted.

No matter how weird or wonderful work may be it is viewed as equal.

Thanks again all

Loz View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 9:39am
Nice one Mark, Great Snaps

Some fab pieces there - I am surprised at the size of Doug Fishers work ! I always assumed they were a lot smaller
Lee Sneddon View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Sneddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 10:39am
Hi Mark,

What a seriously wonderful experience to have had and to meet so many of your idols must have been a dream come true.

Very good of you to share some images of your time in St. Paul, I'll bet the adrenaline is still running!

I think what I have learned from my time on WOW and comments/suggestions about turning over there is that everyone's efforts are welcomed on an equal basis right off the bat, after that people are generally keen to know what they can learn from your work or how they can help to improve yours, a great philosophy.

Looking forward to seeing your updated blog and your next pieces.

Take care,

Lee.
Walter Hall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walter Hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 11:31am
Some inspiring work there Mark. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
A lathe is a tool not a constraint.
Mark Baker View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Group Editor - Woodworking

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 1:54pm
Hi Mark,
Thank you for that.
The show was great and Mark was like the proverbial wide eyed kid in a candy store. I know that the gallery shows and exhibits have that effect on me too.
I will be sorting out some for posting very soon too.
Mark
DavidBuskell View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBuskell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 4:56pm
Some great pics there. Am still sorting out the ones I took to see what can be posted.

David

PS The AAW Symposium is really one of those events you have to go to, if only once. You will not have seen anything like it before.
Mark Baker View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Group Editor - Woodworking

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 5:00pm
David & Mark,

What were the highlights for you both? It was both of your first time and it is always nice to hear what people enjoyed. I know I am always busy at that event, but there is always so much to see.
Mark
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 5:53pm
Hi all

Thank you for your input on the thread. Apologies for not replying before now. Am trying to catch up with things.

Mark you are right I was like a child in a sweet shop.

David

Not sure if I spoke to you. It would have been good to meet up with other people who had made the long trip. It was a great time and I am looking forward to the next one, just got to sort out the pennies.

Mark

In answer to your question, what is there not to like. :-)

Having been to the states numerous times I knew about the freindlyness of the people, but what struck me the most was the willingness of the best to stop and speak openly about ideas and techniques.

The open and free thought process in relation to work, and that everything is accepted and embraced.

Also I liked the fact that you can find and get just about any tool, to do just about any job, at a reasonable price compared to over here. Mind you the exchange rate albeit not massive helps out there.

The weather.

The cheap chilled beer (although they don't do pint glasses).

The fact that I can get a 22oz steak without the need for a mortgage.

I can park in a car park and actually get out of the car without having to squeeze out.

All the roads are pretty much straight.

If it wasn;t so hard to get a green card I would have sold up and gone over there years ago especially now I know what the turning scene is like. You don't get the perspective from the forums until you see it up close.

Edited by mark sanger - 30 Jun 2011 at 5:54pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:17pm
Here are a few more pics.

Brian McEvoy a great guy

Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBuskell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 7:10pm
I think I can echo everything Mark S has said above. Everyone I met were friendly and helpful, especially the guys from Wisconsin Valley whom I had been in toiuch with by email before the event.They took time out of their schedule to have a chat with me about a project we at Cheam are working on.

The one thing that I've come away with is a new perspective on turning - there is more to life than bowls and platters. The trip provided the opportunity to see a far wider range of styles, skills and talents than we can in the the UK. We do have some very talented turners here but they seem to be hidden away.
Everyone from David Ellsworth down, was open and approachable. All demonstrators worked hard and certainly made you think about timber, your approach to turning and trying to free up your imagination.

Save your money and go to San Jose in 2012 you won't regret it.
Frans Brown View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frans Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 10:19pm
Mark, thanks for posting all those photos. They have certainly got me excited about woodturning again (doesn’t take much!).
It looks like the sort of event you have to go to, at least once!

Frans
http://www.fransbrown.co.uk

"The highest form of sophistication is simplicity" Bruce Lee
Aroundwood View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aroundwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 3:44pm
The pictures look amazing, I look forward to seeing more.

keith
Keith Fenton Aroundwood
Gloucestershire UK
Aroundwood.co.uk
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBuskell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 6:11pm
There's usually an official picture of all items in the Instant Gallery so I;ll watch out for the link and post it here.

David
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBuskell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 6:26pm
A couple here of Binh Pho:

Yes, you haven't misread the label - the price IS $14,000 (close to £10,000)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:25pm
Hi all just to let you know I have added the rest of the picture that I took of the instant gallery on my blog.

You can find it on the top right side.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic