Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing with fire again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
John Hodgson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing with fire again
    Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 9:55pm
I have had this tree trunk thing standing in my workshop for some time now just waiting for me to come up with an idea as to what it was going to be
I also had a rather large oak burr
which went onto the lathe
Nd came out like this
The idea was to make some sort of stand to take the bowl and present it as one of my mystical type ceremonial bowls.
After about 6 months of looking at it and lots of head scratching I decided to make a start.
As with most of my work I have a vague vision of what it might be but leave a lot to what the wood dictates and my capabilities to coax out it out of the wood.
I had impulse bought a Proxxon mini carver or whatever it is called (can't be bothered to trail up to the workshop to check) and have been quite eager to give it a go. I always find it a bit daunting when making that first cut with the chainsaw but I put my mind to it and went .
As this looks like being quite a long job I thought I would post the various stages as I work on it.
I hope you don't mind, some of you who work to very precise plans and dimensions might find this
a bit interesting.   Even I might as well. Here goes and please let me know what you think.
It is very hard old oak and will make excellent fire wood if you think it's rubbish.
WOW. I have just found a spell check on my computer.!!!!!!!! These plus some carving tool were used so far.
Unfortunately I didn't get any pics up to this stage .Most of the work has been done with the machines so far then I refine things with carving gouges.
Now for the fun part,I love to work with a gas blow torch and wire brushes as the texture it leaves is unobtainable with anything else.
The bowl will somehow be located in about this position.   To be thought about.
This was a miss fire but I like the effect.
The hands which are about 2" apart will hold a 15" dia. discus like object between them which will be covered or partially covered in gold leaf representing the sun or some other heavenly object.

The beauty of working spontaneously without a plan is that all sorts of unexpected developments happen and greatly add to the excitement of creating a piece of work like this.
I will post more in the near future as it takes place but I am only working on this between other jobs.
Bit of a panic to get some new work out for an exhibition at the Queen's Gallery, Dundee.
One good turn deserves another.       www.john-hodgson.co.uk
jaif View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 10:48pm
absolutely great so far i love the way you work spontanious ideas worked into the wood
most of all shavings all over the shop tools all over this is going to be one of your best
i bet be careful with that blow torch we want to see it finished jim
a mcalpine fusillier
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 11:03pm
I love the way your brain works John!!!

I can't wait to see how this develops.

I bought a blow torch thingy about a year ago with the intention of using it on some turnings, but I don't know how to use it, so It hasn't come out of the box, I'm scared i'll do it wrong, and it'll blow up

Andi
If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!
my website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 11:19pm
Thanks Jim and Andi.   Jenni keeps pestering me to lend her the blowtorch for finishing off her creme brulee,Maybe you could try yours out for that and get a bit of practice before you have a go on the woodturnings. Be a shame if you spoiled a woodturning.
By the way ,it wasn't a very good idea to ware the wellies while I was power carving. Good job I took them off before I got into bed. They were full to the gun'ls with shavings.
Cheers    John.
a17ako View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a17ako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 8:44pm
you look like a mad proffessor there john , but you look like your enjoying yourself , cannot wait to see the finished piece , good on you mate , cheer s dave
FredW View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 2:25pm
You never cease to amaze me how the inspiration seems to flow through you, back into the wood you're working with. Can't wait to see the end result!!

Fred
"Carpe Lignum Torne Lignum"- Ruth Niles( Sieze wood Turn wood)
Tim Pettigrew View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Pettigrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 3:12pm
John I love your WIP approach It gives a wonderful insight as to how you create some truly inspiring work. I look forward very much to seeing how this project evolves.

Best

Tim
Pete in Welland View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete in Welland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 3:34pm
John, just brilliant I was alarmed at the thought of wearing wellies. Had mental image of hot embers getting in them and hopping around with a lit blowtorch
I wish I could regularly get into this free thinking mode you are in at the moment. It's happened a few times with me but I can't just turn it on. Looking forward to all of the next steps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 10:01pm
Thanks all for your very encouraging comments.    Hey Pete, I reckon blazing wellies would look quite spectacular in a photo shoot. Could be one way of getting my perpetually cold feet warmed up.
As for the free thinking mode....I wish I could get out of it occasionally and do a bit of serious
planning and direction. Once in a while the real world catches up with me and it can come as a bit of a shock.   Still    the joys of living in the Highlands.    cheers     John.
motoxy View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 10:32pm
How on earth did you see a pair of hands in that trunk??? genius..crazy...genius..crazy...genius!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 10:50pm
Well Bruce,,, Ive not the faintest idea, maybe it was just the way the natural shakes in the old wood converged,   there was a slight nobble that sort of gave me the idea of the knuckle on a thumb and a very deep split ran all the way down from the top which almost corresponded with one on the back of the trunk. that resulted in the two sort of arms. This trunk had possibly been lying on the forest floor for 40 yrs. or more and all the sapwood had rotted off leaving the extremely hard heart wood .I hope to be working on it again this week and will post results.
Cheers    John.
Ivan View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 10:51pm
cold feet and wellies are what i could answer questions on "mastermind" about . Blazing Wellies i,m sure we could make a film about that
Really like what you have done so far and it will be very interesting to see what you come up with for the suspension of the bowl.
( I was thinking along the lines of a wire type thing with more graduated marbles dripping downwards from the sun like molten lava into the bowl).
I,m sure whatever you come up with will be unique to yourself and very inspiring to us all.
By the way is that a copper or brass "staple" across the top of the piece

Ivan
Adie View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by highlandwoodnut highlandwoodnut wrote:

By the way ,it wasn't a very good idea to ware the wellies while I was power carving. Good job I took them off before I got into bed. They were full to the gun'ls with shavings.
Cheers    John.

Do you normaly wear your wellies to bed then John LOL

Great stuf mate, can't wait to see the finished form Wink

Adie

Edited by Adie - 24 Jan 2011 at 11:22pm
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 10:56pm
Hi Ivan,Thanks for your reply. I like your idea of the connection from the sun,yes that is what I had in mind for it to be,to the bowl. I had toyed with the possibility of a sort of arm from the base lump to support the bowl or chains or wire from the hands to suspend the bowl. This appealed to me most as the bowl would then hang in space.
You are certainly onto my thought thread. My provisional title for it is "The Creation Of the Universe" or "In The Beginning," The marble representing the world we live on and the bowl the universe around it. However all this may well change as things progress or further design opportunities arise.
The copper is indeed a staple. Quite a large one, 8mm square boat nail beaten out to shape. It is there to re enforce a weak area where the bark intrusion cuts through almost from centre to edge. The bar doesn't have a turn at the ends but is drilled and countersunk to take a couple of small boat nails at each end.

Sorry to spoil the fun Adie. The only bed I wear the wellies in is the flower bed.Nice thought though.
Cheers    John.
KathyMichael View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyMichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 8:27am
hi john ,
what a great idea ,i think it looks great,you have a lot of patience
well done
Regards Michael Smith

Armidale,N.S.W.

Australia

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:06am
Thanks Michael, Patience? some of the time. Depends on the subject.
Cheers    John.
Shedhog View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 5:13pm
Hi John, this will be stunning - does it have an exhibition to go in?

Cheers, Mark.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 5:29pm
Hi Mark,   If it is ready it may go into an exhibition I am having at the Carthouse Gallery on the Isle of Mull in April. I may also save it for the Biscuit Factory in Newcastle where the Ealanta Lochaber artist collective I work with are having a group exhibition in September.
I haven't done much work on it this week but have sourced some semi dry sycamore and made the blank for the "sun"? I was in Glasgow yesterday and spent some time trying to find some 3mm brass rod but without any luck. (ran out of time but bought an air compressor instead) I used to have some brass unfluxed brazing rod that would have been suitable but ran out of it last year.
I have decided to suspend the large bowl using three rods fixed to the hands somehow. Rather than straight rods I intend to cut them into short lengths and braze them together overlapping alongside each other to form almost a lightning strike type of effect. Well I think I can see what it should look like
I will post a pic soon   Cheers    John.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 4:23pm
Hi John

Not commented before now as I was waiting for the next instalment. Good to see you in the magazine and your workshop, I would have a good time trying out your blow torch as it is considerably bigger than mine.    .

I like very much what you are doing with this. Organic creativity, working with what you find and developing it is very satisfying.

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 10:59pm
Hi Mark, Thanks for your comments, I showed my Tuesday night woodturning group your oak sculpture. Perfect project for two of the lassies who have yet to find that there is hardly a straight piece of oak longer than 2ft in the whole of Morven.   Maggie ,who has the old Arundel lathe with about a 6ft bed has literally quite high ambitions. I will make sure that they post the results although it may take a bit of time before they are finished.
Cheers    John.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic