Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing with fire again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
John Hodgson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing with fire again
    Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 10:09pm
Hi Andi, I am sure it would look good there but the bowl would swing about a bit too much in a wind.It could fall off and splat a frog and that just wouldn't do. So I guess that.s a no from me, sorry.

Jem, Thank you so much for your compliments.    Vase on head, wot me.?   No that's just another case of woodturning on the brain. It happens a lot round here, must be the tea I drink. Isn't that right Richard?.
Thanks Dave.
Cheers    John.

One good turn deserves another.       www.john-hodgson.co.uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 10:05pm
Hi Andi, I am sure it would look good there but the bowl would swing about a bit too much in a wind.It could fall off and splat a frog and that just wouldn't do. So I guess that.s a no from me, sorry.

Jem, Thank you so much for your compliments.    Vase on head, wot me.?   No that's just another case of woodturning on the brain. It happens a lot round here, must be the tea I drink. Isn't that right Richard?.
Thanks Dave.
Cheers    John.
a17ako View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a17ako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 10:16pm
well done john , all has been said , cheer s dave
jem.mills View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jem.mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 9:25pm
Hi John

This is the best WIP I have seen in a long while. From a piece of wood some would have relegated to the firewood pile to gallery piece, it is quite a journey and fascinating to see the design process and how you dealt with the issues that arose while working through them.

The piece deserves a good home and I am sure it will be snapped up by some discerning buyer.

Thank you for sharing your journey.ClapClapClap

p.s. Had a look at your website and anyone who is prepared to pose with a vase on their head has my full backingSmile

Jem

"Shall I bow down to a block of wood." Isaiah 44:19
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 7:58am
You do put me to shame John, with the effort you put into you photo's. The most effort I put into my pics is finding the camera

If you find that Genesis is getting in your way, I have a lovely spot on the bridge over my pond for it.

Looking forward to the shot in the woods.

Andi
If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!
my website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 11:30pm
Thanks Andi,
I quite enjoyed taking the photos down on the shore but the midges got the better in the end. I had a small generator powering a 50W spot light clipped to a tripod to create the light on the gold leaf. I was really waiting for it to go quite dark to get the effect that I really wanted but I tripped over the light cable and broke the spotlight so we had to call it a day....or a night to be correct.
I have had an idea that I think might work and that is to take 'Genesis ' back up into the oak wood where I found it as a rotting tree stump and Photograph it there. That is unless somebody buys it while it is at The Biscuit Factory. I must admit that I am not too optimistic about that.
Cheers    John.
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 9:19am
Well done John

I have really enjoyed watching this piece evolve. It has become a beautiful sculpture, and you should be proud!

The photo of it on the beach, with the fire in the foreground really sets it off. I bet it looked great with the light and shadows dancing around it.

I hope the biscuit factory exhibition is successful .

Andi
If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!
my website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 11:46pm
Thanks very much Bill. It was a real pleasure to meet you, Take care,     John.
Bill Mooney View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Mooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 2:45pm
Hi John,
Thanks for the invitation, it was a cracking night spent in great company. The turnout was fantastic & the atmosphere was good. Tons of inspiration for any crafts-person.
Regards,

Bill

If it looks right it usually is.
Bill Wyko View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Wyko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 12:00am
all I can say is Bravo my friend. You deserve a VB36 for that effort. I wish i could have seen this earlier, I would have invited you into the contest I am in. Submissions are over but voting is still on going. You would have, hands upWink won the contest. Truly one of the most captivating pieces of art I've ever seen.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 10:56pm
Well Folks,   we made it to Newcastle and here it is with me in the excellent company of Walter Hall, Basil Waugh and Bill Mooney. You can see more about this on a thread by jaif called the biscuit factory in the general woodturning discussion.
Thanks again for your wonderful replies.
Bill.... as much as I would love to say it was a VB36 that I use I have to say that all my work is done on my trusty Nova 3000 which I converted to Variable Speed. A great little machine and as it is bolted down onto over 3/4 of a ton of re enforced concrete it allows me to turn very heavy unbalanced chunks of wood .
Cheers    John.
Bill Wyko View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Wyko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 2:14am
That has to be one of the most beautiful turnings I've ever seen. Just curious, what lathe are you using? A VB36 by chance?
Robbie Graham View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie Graham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:41pm
A stunner, love it.Thumbs%20Up
Cecco View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cecco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 1:10am
A wonderful job.
Very valuable part of the technique.
The design is simply brilliant.
Roberto

ArteTornio

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 11:19pm
Thank all very much for your encouraging replies.I had a lot of pleasure, and a few long spells of ...What on earth shall I do next   or    How can I get round that one ?...making it.
Some peoples reaction to it have been quite interesting. From the totally mind blown, to the mildly impressed.But the most memorable comment came from my daughter in law Kirsty.......................Good grief John, what on earth were you on when you made that!!!!!!!! What have you been smoking????     Just wait till she sees her Christmas present box.   I haven't made it yet but I will think of something suitable.
Off to Newcastle tomorrow. I will be home on Saturday and with a bit of luck ,and now the days are getting shorter I aim to get back to the forum a bit more often than of late. I am looking forward to seeing one or two of our forum members there.

By the way, my wife Jenni and I had a fantastic time on the woodturning cruise. Jenni had a couple of woodturning sessions with Mark B (brave man) and is all fired up to do more.
Cheers   John.
jaif View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 9:41pm
absolutely fantastic john and im going to see it on fri night in the flesh
looking forward to that best wishes for the exhibition regards jim
a mcalpine fusillier
Ivan View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 7:55pm
Sorry John forgot to wish you well with the exhibition.

Ivan
after all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done.
P Grogan View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Grogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 7:49pm
That last series of photos was great and the piece is sufficiently intriguing that I have to keep on going back to it for another look and see some more.  There is just too much going on for one quick forum look.  Pity you aren't in the S of France so I could see it in real life.

Well done John.
PG ClapClapClap
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Ivan View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 6:53pm
Hi John
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- lost for words

Ivan
after all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done.
Adie View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 6:02pm
Intriguing stuff mate

Adie
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic