Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Router Table Fence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adie View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Router Table Fence
    Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 7:14pm
On my shop made router table I constructed a 400mm high fence, so that I could use it like a horizontal table from the vertical position.

Although my table is by far no mach for the excelent example that won the competition (well done). It does make two machines in the space of one.

Just a little idea that might interest someone! if I ever get the hang of posting pics. I will post one!!

Edited by Adie - 02 Feb 2009 at 6:49pm
EricClawHammer View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricClawHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 10:04pm
Adie

I've seen several references to horizontally mounted routers recently; you seem to be approaching the problem in a novel way. Please, pretty please, post your pics soon I might want to "steal" your ideas!

My table may have three fences but there's always space for a fourth!
Eric

When you're as ignorant as I am it's easy to learn new things
Adie View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2008 at 10:10pm
Hi Eric,
Sorry still no pics. but it is quite a simple idea. Just use the fence as the table etc.
Also sorry I can't make the shindig in your workshop (long trek from Bracknell)

Hope I have managed to post this message without any typo's and other mistakes!

Cheers

Adie.
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricClawHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 10:22am
Adie

You thought of it and made it, of course it's simple - to you!

If I see the idea aright you've got a fence 400mm high but, I assume, it's adjustable towards/away from the cutter (at least, possibly the verticality needs some thought as well). To my mind such a high fence would need a fair amount of bracing, how do you accomodate that and still have (hopefully, simple) adjustment(s)?

Eric

Adie View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 9:19pm
Hi EricClawH,

I think you must be under the impression that my table is high tech. It's a bit more Heath Robinson!

The table and fence are made of reclamed 15mm solid laminate from a job I did a few years ago as a subby for a contractor on a laboratory refit. I managed to grab a few bits before the labourers skipped it.(I knew it would come in handy one day)!
Even the legs are steel box section lab. bench legs.

The fence is adjusted simply by cramps and careful tapping (I said not high tech)!
The bracing being by 25mm MDF tryangles fixed to the fence and the flat plate behind the fence, also about 400mm. So it is quite sturdy, but only works at 90 deg. would have to make a jig or sub fence for any other angle.

Hope this all makes sense.

Cheers

Adie

Edited by Adie - 21 Nov 2009 at 12:43pm
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricClawHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 9:35pm
Adie

Yes I can see that it's simple and so are the adjustments (although given the size of the thing I suspect that the "careful tapping" must be with a sledge hammer).

I like simple things (so, obviously, does my wife) they're more likely to work. What are your results like?
Eric

Adie View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 10:22pm
Hi Eric

I do find that by loosening one cramp and marking the table with a pencil mark I can get a very fine adjustment with only light taps.

I know I can get better but my table cost me £0 exept for the cramps, router and Trend mounting plate. When I get more time I would like to take some Ideas from your pic's and upgrade my table to something like near your example.

As for results it does ok being very sturdy with a good quality router with fine adjustment.

Regards

Adie
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricClawHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 10:43pm
Adie

Feel free to steal any ideas you want - I do it all the time! If/when you get round to building Mark 2 send me a private message, perhaps I'll be able to provide you with some really detailed photos to help you along the way.

I'll mention a problem that caught me out: the tracks on my table are mitre tee tracks, you can get them from several sources. BEWARE they are not all compatible with each other.

It's funny that you should mention the pencil line on the table, that's the method I use with the "standard" fence (in reality the fence from a Triton router table, in my humble opinion it's one of the best "ordinary" fences around) on my table. I also use Triton routers (I have two) (OK that's showing off!) Triton seem able to design good kit (and no, I don't work for them!)

Eric

Adie View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 12:32pm

Thanks I will take you up on that.
Adie View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 6:10pm
Hi Eric,
How about that. Getting flash now posting pictures! (could do with making
them fit the area. Keep trying!!)
Told ya it's not exactly high tech.

Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricClawHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 7:53pm
Adie

Well done! It took me several attempts (and some help from our Administrator friends) to get my picture sorted out so I know it's not quite as simple as some of these guys try to make out. (If I admit I was an IT manager for 30 years do you think it might affect my street cred?) I hit the same problem with getting the pictures to fit, just one scroll bar at the end of the post does seem a bit inadequate but - we are talking about amateurs (you and me and a few others) trying to marry together two technologies (Photobucket or whatever and this forum) so perhaps we should just gasp in amazement that it works at all!

A question, a comment and a request:

On the first picture there are several pencil lines - are they of significance in using the fence or are they just relics of the original marking out? I can guess that the vertical lines might mark the edge of the cutter, what's the horizontal one for?

I think there's something odd about me (slight pause whilst we allow the guffaws to die down) but I find the back views of anything much more interesting than the front; don't take this the wrong way but the front is for show, the back shows how things work.

And the request - could you post a picture showing more detail of how the vacuum pipe attaches to the fence. I need (well, like) to upgrade the extraction on my table and any ideas will be useful.

Take care

Eric

jimcmcc View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimcmcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:17pm
Eric,
Forgive me for butting in between you and Adie but I may be of help.

I'll stress that I am a novice.
However if you go to 'wealdentool.com' (sorry no good at links) under Ron Fox's rounting hints and tips, go to item 24 - Building a Router Table Part 7 and photo No. 32 shows how the dust extraction is completed at the rear of the fence. I can vouch that it works having attended a course with Ron.

I hope this may be of help.

Jim
Adie View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:49pm
Hello Jim,

Had a look at the link. I like the idea of the sliding subfence. I usually just cramp on a bit of MDF !

Eric,
The extraction in the diagram is more or less the same as my one. Only I just made mine up as I went along! The pencil marks (should have cleaned the thing) are old datum marks from different jobs. I think the horazontal one had to do with a raised sub fence.
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricClawHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:54pm
James

Welcome.

Nothing to forgive - anything on the forum is, by definition, public and anyone can join (not but) in.

I'll take a look at Wealden's website and Ron's tips. It's a long time since I was on Wealden's site which can only mean I haven't broken any cutters recently - I get all my cutters from them, they are one of the few (very few) organisations that offer a really good service (order by noon, cutter with me next day - if it doesn't arrive within three days they send out a second one, no quibbling - great)

As for being a novice: I read today that in woodwork we're all improving so I suppose we're all novices just that some have been novices longer than others!

Take care
Eric

Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricClawHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 9:19pm
Adie

Don't (unless you need to) (or want to) rub off the pencil lines. My kit has "temporary" marks all over it - it shows it's been used. It's a little bit like the back of things, they show how it all works. I like to think of such marks as showing the history of a piece.

(A while back I was asked how to remove the marks from the surface of a writing slope. I suggested ways but added that the marks showed the slope had been used - it's history - I think the lady was touched by the thought.)
Eric

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic