Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cabinet in cherry and “black and white ebony”

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bernard58 View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernard58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cabinet in cherry and “black and white ebony”
    Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:50pm
The curved sides of this cabinet are made made from 15 mm thick steam-bent boards of cherry. 
I have textured the top and sides by routing parallel grooves into them, an idea I got from one of John Lee's projects (check http://www.johnleefurniture.com, he’s a wonderful designer). The end result provides a somewhat “retro” effect, not unlike the design of some of the vintage radios from the forties and fifties I used to collect as another hobby of mine. Drawer sides are maple and drawer bottoms cedar.

The drawer fronts and door panels are made by applying “black and white ebony” veneer to 18 mm plywood panels, using Titebond for cold press veneering. The veneer is applied using a home-made vacuum press.The edges of the plywood are lined with strips of wengé. Drawer pulls, door knobs and legs are also wengé.

Black and white ebony (Diospyros malabarica) is a South-east Asian hardwood related to ebony, and has a striking black and white pattern. It’s quite expensive and therefore available mostly as veneer.

The veneer had a few holes in it due to knots. Rather then trying to hide those, I chose to accentuate them by filling them up and applying gold leaf.

Feel free to check my website for more details on the building process.

— Bernard Delaey, Belgium – http://www.delaeywood.be

Bernard Delaey - Belgium
http://www.delaeywood.be
Ian Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 9:49pm
I love the front shot but not sure about the one on the end it more than likely looks better in the real view . The workmanship of the joints and the steam bent side along with the grain match really sets it off well.

Ian
happynes is shavings flying
copeau12 View Drop Down
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copeau12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 11:53pm
Impressive. Shocked
A lovely piece of work. Nice balance between darker and lighter woods.
Indeed It works really well with the vintage radio on the top.
Robin Laycock View Drop Down
Senior Craftsman
Senior Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin Laycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:36pm
Excellent work Bernard, it is good to get different ideas on the forum. I like the shape and the contrast in colours. Well done.

Kind regards
Robin
charlton8 View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlton8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 9:40pm
Nice work and a bit different.
Regards Ted
We do not have failures just highly processed fire wood!
gregmcateer View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregmcateer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:43am
That is lovely.
Really clever effect and very well made
I hope you like my son's caricature of me! If you want one of you - PM me.
bat21 View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bat21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 10:05am
Not sure about the filled bits at the front, but overall a really excellent piece of work, and I love the style.

Cheers
Paul
monkeybiter View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeybiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 12:53pm
I like that very much, I love the Art Deco style, the standards of manufacture look very high.
I like the attention to detail, the way the drawer pulls are symmetrically styled, especially the centre pull. For me the grooved sides work well, the curves, and the overall Deco style is complimented by the Art Nouveau feel of the wonderful black & white ebony [never seen this before].
I do agree with bat21, I'm not keen on the gold leaf inlays, but overall you've scored a resounding win. Excellent!

I love that radio in the first pic too, they go well together.

Edited by monkeybiter - 19 Mar 2017 at 12:54pm
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic