Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sandvik Sandplate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TimberTwister View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimberTwister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sandvik Sandplate
    Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 6:03pm
A long time ago, Sandvik used to make sandplates, which were sheets of steel, printed with a dot pattern of etch-resist, which were then acid etched. This resulted in undercut circles (inverted truncated cones) with a nice sharp top edge and a very even cut.

The problem is, although I bought plenty at the time, mine are now wearing out and I cannot see them on the market. Does anyone know where they can be found?   Please?

Don't buy them all before I get a chance!
David.

I wish I could turn like you.
YewTube View Drop Down
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YewTube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 4:43pm
TT

Sandvik got taken over by Bahco. I was at the last Axminster Show, some 3-4 years ago, and ask the Bahco guys whether they still made the sandplates. The answer was that did not and that they were selling the last ones off at the show.

Sorry, I bought them before you had a chance.

I suspect that they lasted too long.

Bill
I am not young enough to know everything.
TimberTwister View Drop Down
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimberTwister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 7:50am
Thanks Bill

The things were so useful too! Nothing like them for tidying up a sawcut, or getting into corners. I've recently made a bowl with a scalloped edge, and the old sandplate got right down into the Vee's like nothing else. You can try it with folded abrasive sheets, but they round off the corners! I think I'll find some inexpensive cabinet scrapers and glue on some different grits!

I bet that won't last as long!

Edited by TimberTwister - 08 Sep 2010 at 7:51am
David.

I wish I could turn like you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:08am
edit

Edited by Philip Streeting - 28 Nov 2010 at 6:17pm
jpt View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:31am
momof5 View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momof5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 5:00pm
I was watching hulu.com and the advertisement was for this product Sandplate by Sandvik..how do you get hold of it in the US? This is January 2011 so it has to be available somewhere?
GatewayStr View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GatewayStr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by TimberTwister TimberTwister wrote:

A long time ago, Sandvik used to make sandplates, which were sheets of steel, printed with a dot pattern of etch-resist, which were then acid etched. This resulted in undercut circles (inverted truncated cones) with a nice sharp top edge and a very even cut.
*snip*

Can you remember where the details of the sandplate manufacturing process of were published? I'd like to know more about it.

My company sells NT Cutter, which is like Sandvik Sandplate. It would be interesting to include some information about how it's made on the web page.
Products by NT Cutter/ NT Dresser, Sandplate! sandplate.com
GatewayStr View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GatewayStr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 7:51pm
I have an update on the original Sandvik Sandplate.

It's still discontinued, but some original Sanvik Sandplate is available at my site sandplate.com

Products by NT Cutter/ NT Dresser, Sandplate! sandplate.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic