Forums

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing with fire again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 5:13am
Hi John

Thanks, I am glad they liked the article. It has had a lot of interest and it will be good to see the results and one from a 6ft lathe, wow that would be something.

John Hodgson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 9:13pm
I will let you know when it happens Mark. I might even have a go myself,it may just give me an opportunity to use another marble.
Here are a few pics of WIP. not much this week .Here is the sycamore blank in the place where it will eventually be. As it is still a bit green I have waxed the edge and will give it a bit of time to dry out before I turn it.   It just gives me an idea of the proportions I have to work to.

I have opened up the natural shakes in the lower part of the trunk prior to a bit more carving and scorching
As I have decided to suspend the large bowl from the hands area I will have to think of some way of extending the footprint of the base to give it a lot more stability. At the moment it just has the remains of it's root plate which is not too bad but not sufficient for the heavy bowl.
The root area is a bit messy and with out a definite shape or form so I shall have quite a bit of work to do with it to make it look part of the total event.   I thought of including some turned spheres of different woods and sizes into the sort of sockets where rocks were.. Possibly introduce some colour and gold leaf to add a bit of interest in this area.
I don't expect to get too much done next week as I have quite a bit of work to get ready for an exhibition and it is needed by a week tomorrow..
Cheers    John.

One good turn deserves another.       www.john-hodgson.co.uk
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:04pm
Hi John,

I love the first picture, with the contrast of the light coloured wood against the dark hands. It looks like the blank is iridescence .

Andi
If at first you DO succeed, try not to look astonished!
my website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:33pm
It does,I dont know why it came out like that, It looks a bit like a moon made out of cheese.
Cheers    John.
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:36pm
Offerings to Wallace and Grommet

Andi
my website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:58pm
Thanks Andi....I like that      John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 4:45pm
I managed to get a bit more done yesterday, mainly working down the trunk and adding a bit more to the carving. There were quite a lot of splits which I decided to open up quite a lot with the chainsaw and Proxon I have made them quite deep and some meet up towards the centre.   I am seeing the sort of ribs that are left as lines of energy rising from the depths of space up to the hands of the creator so I have accentuated these and taken them down into the root plate.
I am toying with the idea of colouring the innermost areas of the splits from red to purple to midnight blue blended into each other. I don't know whether to start with blue at the base fading to red at the top or the other way round
All the carving was by machine and followed by a good scorching and wire brushing. I keep the vacuum nozzle close to the wire brush while doing this as it creates an awful lot of soot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:06pm
That wasn't meant to go on yet and I certainly didn't click post reply ,so to continue here are the photos of the various stages
Starting to open up the splits

As well as a good supply of fire extinguishers I always keep a squirty bottle of water handy. As well as butting out flames I can wet areas that I don't want to char.
Here I have carved the split down into the root area and scorched it. I have now got to refine the root plate where there is an awkward looking lump that doesn't flow into the rest of it.
I think I will saw a chunk off it.
On the right of the pic are the wire brushes I use. I find that the bronze bristle brushes work best and leave a softer smooth surface which I prefer to the coarse finish from the stiff wire brushes.

I use a fairly industrial type propane blow torch which gives a good hot flame that I need to produce this sort of work.
I am not going to go on about all the health and safety aspects related to working like this as I think anyone having a go at this work will be quite aware of the potential dangers and take the necessary precautions.

That's it for this week.   Cheers    John.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:16pm
Hi John

I certainly like the process you are working through. Great stuff, can;t give any advice in relation to which colour to do first. I generally find that if I go wrong then the blow torch soon sorts it out. ( taking into account any fire precautions in relation to the stains).

That aside it is an enjoyable process watching you create this piece and seeing it develop. You are obviously connected to your work. Good on you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:32pm
Thanks Mark, I have just been a bit connected to the other part of my job. Hunting out half a dozen logs for the oak sculptures that our Tuesday evening new club night are about to make.Couldn't find any oak so they are going to be made from yew.
Cheers    John.
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:42pm
Great progress John.

thank you for posting the pics, It's nice to see the piece evolve .

Andi
my website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 5:33pm
I am still working on this piece as and when an idea comes to mind or I get a chance to do something at it between other jobs.
Every time I have looked at the oak bowl I have felt that the glass marble wasn't just right.
I had made the bowl before I had really decided what I was going to do with it. (typical of me, act first and think about it later)
Well.....the marble has gone. It didn't really fulfill the role I had in mind for it as the focal point of the complete work. Also I didn't think it was quite organic enough for the rest of the piece and this was backed up by comments from other like minded persons.
As usual, when I was looking for something else, I came across a bit of burr wych elm off cut that gave me the idea for the centre piece which I think is exactly right to portray the newly created universe with the world at it's centre.

The globe is about the size of an orange and I have mounted it onto a bearing I salvaged out of a broken router so that it spins beautifully.

After I turned the globe I scorched it well and brushed it with a bronze wire brush to enhance the grain. Microwaved it to dry it out then coated it with gesso prior to working gold transfer leaf into all the indents with an agate. (as used in my picture framing restoration work).
I had turned up a spigot on an off cut to fit the recess I had made to take the bearing. With the globe jambed onto it I sanded the surface with 400 and 600 Abranet followed by a polish up with woodwax paste polish to reveal the red gesso.
I recently turned up the sycamore disc which will be fixed between the hands and from which the bowl will be suspended. I am not quite sure how I will achieve that just yet but I have a few ideas to go at       .I have been given a considerable quantity of fine brass brazing rods that could work in some how and with this in mind I turned a fine groove round the edge of the disc to accommodate them.
The disc will also be gilded and burnished to a high polished finish.

Turnpike View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnpike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 10:10pm
Don't know how I missed this post John. The wych elm globe is so much better than the marble...looks great!

Fascinating to read your thought processes as you develop this. Keep the posts coming!

Ray
I aim to live forever... and it feels like I'll need to to get my Workshop finished!
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 10:26pm
Hi John,
The elm works far better than the marble, and I love that it spins

I hope I see it in person soon!

Andi
my website
Turnpike View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turnpike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 10:29pm
You going up to Scotland Andi?
I aim to live forever... and it feels like I'll need to to get my Workshop finished!
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 10:41pm
Yeah, I can't wait !!!

Andi
my website
Pete in Welland View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete in Welland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 11:13pm
John definitely an improvement getting rid of the marble I tried putting heavy gauge copper around a disk much the same as you are thinking with the brazing rods. Mmmmmm, all was well until the wood shrank and the copper ring was then way too big. Trimmed the ring and silver soldered it but when the humidity went up the joint broke. I had annealed the copper and thought it was soft enough to stretch. Haven't figured out yet where I went wrong. Hope you have better luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 11:23pm
I have had another spell of work on this piece and it's good to get it a bit further on again.
I had come up with an idea for suspending the large bowl. Well ....half an idea.... the rest has yet to develop.
The first job was set our the positions and drill the holes to take the brass rods. I made a card template to check that it would work and then proceeded to coat the disc with Fontenay base to take the gold leaf. I gave it 6 coats rubbing down between each coat with wet and dry paper with a final rub down with 1200 grt.

This was my first attempt at fitting the brass rods. I was using silver solder which needed too much heat for the rods which ended up with slight bends, I was not too happy with the overall result.

so I cut the ends off the rods and started again with a slightly different method by sandwiching all the rods between 2 brass plates and using soft solder with a lot less heat.   It worked well.

The next job was to apply the gold leaf.. I was using a double weight 22 carat gold transfer leaf as I find it a bit easier to use than loose leaf. I also used an outdoor weather proof varnish type size as it is a bit more durable than the water based ones.

I was quite pleased with the result so I put the disc into position and just to get an idea of the effect I positioned the large bowl on a stool more or less where it will be.
As the footprint of the tree root is a little too small to be stable enough to support the heavy bowl I am making a larger area pad to fix to the underside of the root plate which should take care of the stability problem.
This is made from 2 pieces of 2" thick oak glued together with 3/4" dowels and has 2 x 1"x 2" seasoned oak strips let into the under side of the base to help keep it flat.
When the base is fixed to the root plate I will carve and scorch the top of it to blend into the root.

I will do a bit more carving and fit the base while I think of some way to hang the large bowl.
I am toying with the idea of concealing the connection between the bowl hanger and the hook with another globe type planet.This could be a hollowed out ball with the connecting hooks inside.
The bowl will have to be detachable for transportation.
As always I am eager to hear your comments.   Cheers     John.
Andi View Drop Down
Veteran Craftsman
Veteran Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 8:37am
Hi John,

Wow!!!!!

I love this piece so much, and you haven't even finished it yet!

The gold leaf really works on the disc, the rods coming down from the disc put me in mine of a suspension bridge, but also a hot air balloon.

I'm glad you're making it transportable......I might sneak up and pinch it....

Great work, well done...can't wait to see what happens to it next.

Andi
my website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Hodgson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 3:32pm
Here is the final installment. I have been a bit busy over the summer so I have slack at putting my posts on the forum. Anyway it is all finished now and packed up in the van to head off to The Biscuit Factory in Newcastle where our artists collective have an exhibition starting on Sept 10Th.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic